post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 11:57 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2008
Vehicle: 1971 Mercedes 280sel (w108)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
m130 engine--fuel mod

I have a 1971 280 sel (108) chassis, with the m130 6-cyl. Factory was mechanical fuel injection. Before I bought it, it was switched to carburettor. Now here is the interesting part. They plugged the injection ports with spark plugs. Using the existing intake manifold, they equipped it with 1 SU HIF-6 carb.
Right in place where the old throttle body was. Also they replaced the fuel pump with a smaller one. Overall, it works very well. Starts easy, and gets up to speed (slower than it should). So I guess my question is-can there be a better modification done to make this car run like it should? I can't afford to go back to the fuel injection, even though I would love to. But those injection pumps are like $1700. Any Ideas?http://www.benzworld.org/forums/imag...s/confused.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 08:54 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Wow I must have stumped the gurus with this one lol.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 03:25 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
nah not stumped, that is a creative modification

Just how did they block off the MFI hole?
I have everything to go stock if you want,
how is the compression in that motor?
Is is worth the trouble to return to stock?

Brian O
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 04:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostosh View Post
Just how did they block off the MFI hole?
I have everything to go stock if you want,
how is the compression in that motor?
Is is worth the trouble to return to stock?
The MFI hole? there is a hose that went to the injection pump. then the port holes for for each of the cyl. is blocked with spark plugs. the whole pump is gone all injection lines are gone and throttle body is gone, with just an adapter plate in its place for the SU carb. I need to take some pics of the engine to show. If you have all the parts, I would be very interested. Please let me know. The engine compression seems fine, haven't checked with tester. I'm ignorant of how little or how much trouble they might be to put back to original. Also the stock fuel pump has been changed to a much smaller one for the carb setup.

Arnold

Last edited by Rauchen; 08-11-2008 at 04:54 PM. Reason: forgot something
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Personally, I wouldn't have bought the car. I might have considered it if all the parts were available.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wbain View Post
Personally, I wouldn't have bought the car. I might have considered it if all the parts were available.
I just came upon the post while searching forums about a recent fuel pump change that I have made. But I must say wbain, I'm glad I didn't take your advice. My Mercedes is still going strong with the same SU carb adaptation. I did realize that I had too strong of a fuel pump on. It was an AC Delco from who knows what, and it finally went out. I replaced it with (the name escapes me) a universal one from O'Reilly's it was an inline 7-9 psi. In 3 weeks it burned out leaving me stranded on the road. I was still under warranty so I got another, 3 weeks later, the same thing, stranded on the road. I have now changed to a Mr. Gasket micro-electric pump, with a 2.5 to 3 psi. I think the problem before was too high pressure to the carb, causing some driving problems plus causing back pressure, which in turn burned out the fuel pump. Anyway, I hope I am right. It has only been two days but the car runs better than ever. Starts even easier, runs quieter, still kind of lame on power, but hey, it is a single SU carb.
Overall, if I had to do over again, I would still buy this car again, I have no regrets. Yes, I get frustrated, but every time I drive somewhere, and someone yells out "hey, cool car" it makes it all worth while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in