LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-07-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Thinking about 72 280SE. Advice?

Hi there, my name's Mike and I'm new to this forum and Benz's in general. I've recently come across a 72 280SE for sale and fell in love with it. It has about 60 k miles on it and has been very well maintained. I have a few questions before I plunge into this purchase however and I would be very appreciative for any help you can offer.

1st: What should I expect to pay for this car?
2nd: How much should I expect to pay in maintenance and upkeep per year and will a car this old, even properly maintained, give me a barrel full of trouble? Litres per km?
3rd: This will be my only car and will be used regularly but not extensively as I would baby it as much as possible. Is this wise? (Climate: rainy but not cold or snowy)
4th: What else should I be asking?

Thank you kindly for your time,
Mike

Last edited by Davidson25; 07-08-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-12-2008, 03:36 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2008
Vehicle: 1972 280 SE 3.5 Metalic red (dankle rot) owned since1985.
Hi Mike, these are great cars with loads of presence. They also rot! (hence rot box in my call sign) All the water from the scuttle and along the bonnet goes behind the slash-guard under the front wing where Mercedes have placed a fixing hole for the back of the wing, so all the water drains into the sill with the inevitable consequences! I replaced the sill and front cross member as long ago as 1986. The load leveler on mine has just popped and I have replaced it with the standard conversion spring. I bought this kit from SLS in Germany. I ordered it last Monday and it was with me in the UK on Friday morning.
Excellent!
http://www.sls-hh-catalogue.de/bin/d...phtml?mid=IN02
They have all the pictures of the parts which is a great help. My brake hoses had all swollen so that the fluid couldn't move. the brakes stuck on after the pedal had been pushed. Cheap and easy to replace as a matter of course anyway. I have put re-manufactured calipers on (£65 each, £200 from mercedes, if the they can get them) Is the one your looking at a V8? Hope this helps.
Regards, Pete.

Last edited by DANKLE ROT BOX; 07-12-2008 at 03:39 AM. Reason: change spelling
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-13-2008, 03:55 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Feb 2008
Vehicle: 2004 W220 (S430) ; 2001 R129 (SL500) Sport
Mike: There is a story in the most recent Automobile magazine about the car you are considering, although their focus was on the US 4.5 litre V-8 version. They are saying the 4.5 litre models can be had for USD5,000 for a driver to USD10,000 for one pretty well in original or restored condition. I would think the smaller-engined version would be less; maybe 2,000 euro or 1,500 sterling or so for a driver (I'm assuming you're in Europe or Britain) and upwards. I owned a long wheelbase V-8 version of that car for several years in the early 80s, and it was my favorite car of all time. It was powerful, roomy, and certainly had presence. I bought it with 100k miles and only had routine maintenance and trivial repair for 4 years. I sold it with 145k miles for what I bought it. Good luck with your decision. Cheers.

"Don't pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight, he'll just kill you."--John Steinbeck
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in