LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-26-2008, 09:33 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: 1996 S600 Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1972 250c wont idle and have to keep foot on gas pedal?

Hello My 250 c wont idle in park or in gear. I have to keep the foot on the gas or it will stall. The carburetors seem very responsive and work flawlessly other wise. Is there something that is supposed to keep the car running electronically on the carburetors? I have cleaned them with carb cleaner and still no help. If you stand on the passenger side and look at the carbs there is a white round plastic piece on each of them..my rear one has a burn mark on it. What are these and can I raise the idle on these? Thanks so much in advance. Nate
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-27-2008, 11:47 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
One common problem is the idle solenoids. They are in the front of the carbs and have a pair of wires running to them. With the ignition on, unplug them and plug them back in. You should hear a click each time. If you don't, replace as needed.

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1998 SL500
1959 220S
1970 280SL
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 06-30-2008, 11:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1970 250c, 300e amg
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
i have had many problems with my carbs, including the problems you have. i sent them out and had them rebuilt by an old school merc mechanic. never had a problem after
jimmy
post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-01-2008, 10:30 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Jul 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctaylor738 View Post
One common problem is the idle solenoids. They are in the front of the carbs and have a pair of wires running to them. With the ignition on, unplug them and plug them back in. You should hear a click each time. If you don't, replace as needed.
Hi - Do you know where I can find these replacement idle solenoids? I can't seem to find them online.

Thanks
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-02-2008, 08:33 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The moderator

of this forum, Ron at GermanStar comes to mind...

JR
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-03-2008, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

thank you!

i meant to post that i managed to find the solenoids from weber directly. thanks for the hookup to germanstar though. that place looks like a gold mine.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-04-2008, 06:00 AM
BenzWorld Member

If you have problem with these things, don't try to resolve them on the net. Many people does that and it's not quite good. You can resolve your problem at the moment, but later? What if you'll have a bigger problem? My advise is to see a doctor. Not you of course. A car doctor.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-08-2008, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
You should have told us that you have Webers! I assumed you had the original Zeniths.

Did the idle solenoids fix the problem?

Chuck Taylor
Falls Church VA
1998 SL500
1959 220S
1970 280SL
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-10-2008, 08:06 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

I actually bought the car from porschapower, so there has been a small time-lag between his original post and my picking up on this thread.

Weber are sending them out (hopefully today), and I'll report back as soon as I have them in my grubby hands!

In other news, I've noticed white smoke from the exhaust and the oil pressure gauge is maxing out as soon as I turn the ignition. I fear that it's the head gasket, but the car hasn't been driven for some time and the fluids are old. Is there a chance at all that it might just be condensation in the oil tank and that flushing the fluids might fix the problem - or something equally easy to remedy? (I know that I'm not mechanically competent enough to attempt a head gasket fix sadly.)
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-11-2008, 03:31 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

the idle solenoids arrived today and when i unpacked them they were different parts to that which i thought they were. nevertheless, i replaced them with the old ones and nothing happened. i then unplugged the wires from what i thought the idle solenoids were (the burned out looking, round white plastic things which are beside where the idle solenoid is) and plugged their wires into the idle solenoids and the car works fine.

my question now is, what did i unplug (and is it bad to have that unplugged), and where could the cables which should be running to the idle solenoids have disappeared to (or where should i run new ones from)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in