post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 03:55 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w108 shocks

Hi all

I i am new to this forum so first, a few words.

One of my cars is an 1971 280se. my father bought it new and saw it getting off the factory line in shtutgart. it was born 10/71, i am 1/72 so we are brothers...

i have other cars but this one is very special to me. it was stolen, and it took me 9 long years to recover it. it was the best gift i ever got.

i think it is also, in many respects, the best car i ever driven. many people may mention the ride, and this is true. but in Israel there is an amazing twisting road...were all crazy drivers go to drive on the limit. i had alfas and i have a 911, but still, the fastest i ever drove this road was in my 280se...call my crazy, you are not the first...

My question is as follows: when the car was recpvered it still had "koni classic" shocks which i installed. the car didnt move through all of this time, and for some reason the shocks died alltogether. they were worthless.

So i found a set of nos Sachs, put them on, and they are dead too!

So now i know not to touch New old stock shocks...

In Israel the shocks are a fortune so i have to order abroad. given the price of shipment and duty, i have to keep the cost down somehow.

I know Koni, had them on several cars, but i am not so sure their reputation is justified, and they COST. I know bilstein were the original, but never tried them. Monroe have so so reputation, Boge i didnt like. Kyb some told me they are good some tolm me to keep away.

I will be realy gratefull if someone who had experience with several sets on such a car can tell me what was good and what was bad. also, if people here know some good sources for realy good prices on shocks, i will be more then happyh to hear about it...

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:16 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Those KONI's can be adjusted. There is a rubber spacer up inside the cover. Remove it, collapse the shock and find out whre it is adjusted. Turn it to the left and count the number of turns, or half or quarter etc. Inventory all of them in the same way. Set them back to their original place and then give each one a half turn. Reinstall them on the car, don't forget the rubber piece and drive the car.

Or get a set of Bilsteins.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 09:57 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The shock of choice...

on a W108 is Bilstein. Check with GermanStar or Autohaus Arizona and see if they will ship overseas.

Koni's belong on a Fiat, or some sports car, not a heavy W108 sedan.

Good luck,

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Administratoris Emeritus
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Yup, stick with Bilstein, and we do ship overseas every day.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 01:10 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm with him ^^^^ Bilsteins will last 20-30 years without a problem,but consider replacing all the suspension rubbers at the same time,front and rear because i'll bet they have never been touched.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: