post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:50 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Advice on 220 SEb restoration...

Hi guys,

I have inherited a beautiful 1961 220 SEb coupe from my father. He became the second owner in 1969.

It is completely stock, and has the straight-6 mechanical fuel injection, with 4 on the floor, front power discs. Yellow with black leather interior. Everything is stock, right down to the Becker Mexico radio and tube amp.

It is in running condition, although it has a brake leak at the driver's front caliper. Other than that, it drives quite well. I used to do tuneups on it in High School.

It needs a little work, including headliner, carpets, a new front passenger fender, some rechroming of bumpers, and a decent paint job. Leather upholstery is in great shape, although some of the wooden trim could use some going over.

My question is: What would you recommend as sources for parts (I know about the Classic Center in California), and is there a recommended MB restoration house near Portland, Oregon?

If money were no object, I would just ship it down to the MB Classic Center and call it done, but I'd like to get your opinions.

Sincerely,

PE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 12:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SEb coupe 1988 560SEC 1993 300CE
plenty of options

I have owned a 220SEb coupe for about twenty years. I have found that the best source for genuine M-B parts is Caliber Motors in Anaheim, Calif. They sell new parts to the public at whole-sale prices. Don Tibbetts is the man to speak with. He is extremely knowledgable and always helpful. Carpets and headliners can easily be sourced from World Upholstery, Carpet, tops & seat upholstery for collectable cars Mercedes BMW Porsche Jaguar Fiat Ferrari and Saab or GAHH: Convertible Tops, Auto Interiors, Quality Convertible Tops Both sell quality products to fit your model.

These cars are an absolute dream to work on compared to just about any other car, even other M-B's. I also have a SLC that does nothing but drive me nuts and suck fuel.

I have a pile of parts of every shape and description to fit this model auto. If you need anything let me know because I am dying to reduce the inventory in my cellar, even if it is one knob at a time! Unfortunately, the fender is going to be a tough one to source, especially the passenger. If it can be saved in any way, save it because you are looking at serious dollars to replace.

In addition, if you have any questions on "how to do it" or "where to send it", just send me a PM.

One last word of advice, make sure you have genuine M-B manuals, a recent copy of Hemming's Motor News, and a good set of tools. And have fun.

CV
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 07:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
I have a used passenger fender I could sell you from a 1967 250SEC however the shipping would not be cheap.
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:05 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
If you need new parts ( suspension rubbers etc ) Join a Mercedes Club that is affiliated with Daimler AG .You can then access the discount parts scheme at Mercedes Classic center . parts boss,Tom Hanson is THE MAN when it comes to pre1975 Mercedes parts in the world.
Give up now if you want genuine Mercedes manuals,they were only ever given to dealers and approved workshops so are worth big money and come in volumes ( I have 12 volumes and I still don't have a complete set) .
All of them are available in English from Mercedes Classic center in Germany on CD.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 10:52 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Apr 2008
(Thread Starter)
Thank you guys for your thoughtful and helpful comments. I have actually spoken to Tom Hansen before, and I agree with how helpful he is.

I will save up and try and chip away at this project as the pocketbook permits. It is my goal to get it fixed up enough so that it will be acceptable to take to classic cars shows. Not concours condition (I don't think I could afford that), but if it would be in a similar shape as when my Dad used to tool around in it, that would be grand.

Thanks again,

PE
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in