post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1972 250
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Alternative to Zenith carburetors?

I have a 72 250c in improving condition. I know and have heard the pains of zenith carbs, which i'm considering to either rebuild for $800 or replace for about the same. The Zenith carbs are 35/40 INAT double-barreled . Does anyone know of alternatives that are, at best, within a reasonable price range and relatively easy for conversion? I know of Webers , but i'm not sure which type are right for my Mercedes. Thanks in advance, as the postings on this site are very helpful for myself and many other people.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 09:51 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Yes, there are Weber replacements and not the sidedraft type.

JAM Engineering Corp: Products

page page down a bit:

C-501: Mercedes 6cyl 32/36 DGEV.
Replacements for Zenith carbs on single overhead cam 6-cylinder. Click here for a comparison of the JAM Mercedes linkage and air cleaner adapters (left) with cheaply made copies (right). Note 1/8" sheet metal adapters and plastic ball sockets on the cheap copy. We use real steel.View a printable 1985 Mercedes Benz Club "Star" magazine article page one and page two for a complete installation description.*

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-23-2008, 11:52 PM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The twin...

Zeniths are not all that bad, once they are squared away. Driveability issues are often attributed to the carbs that actually are caused elsewhere. "Hesitation" often comes from weak springs, or a bad vacuum advance/retard unit in the distributor, as an example...

Over the years the Zeniths can suffer from lack of maintenance, ham handed mechanics, etc., but can usually be put right by someone who knows what they are doing.

If it were my 250C, I would get the Zeniths worked over [by someone who really knows what they are doing]... YMMV.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-24-2008, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Sep 2007
Vehicle: 1978 280ce euro found dead on Ebay
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-25-2008, 07:35 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)

was the last gasping hurrah of the carb manufacturers and "Detroit" to avoid using real fuel injection and still comply with ever tightening emissions requirements. It really did not work very well "back in the day," so I am guessing that it will not work terribly well in this application.

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-26-2008, 02:27 AM
BenzWorld Veteran
Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Actually they work rather well,it's crap quality of the ECU's that ruins them. The drivers for the injectors burn out with monotonous regularity.
Those baby down draft progressive webers are a poor substitute for the Zeniths,if you want cheap and simple just bolt a pair of holley 300's on . :-)
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: