New to me 1973 450sl black on black - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 93 300te 93 500sel euro 96 s500 euro sold 94 s420 sold 99 cl500 RIP 91 300ce SOLD 99 clk cab garbage
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
New to me 1973 450sl black on black

Interesting story here

2 years ago i looked a this car as it was just around the corner from my house. the guy wanted 4000.00 for it. It was bought at a dui county auction by him in 2004. A key never came with the car. He tried to get a key insert for the car and apparently never finished getting it together to see if it ran or not.

Present day.

He listed it on craiglist again last night. for 1000.00 The old story "wife wants it out of the garage!" so i went this morning to take another gander. It was in much better shape than i imagined. It does need work especially since i don't know if it runs or not! But the car is solid and the hard top is there.

MY main question is that i think i remember reading somewhere on this forum that black on black 450sls were rare birds.

Is this true? I mean its my favorite color combo, but does anyone have any hard numbers on how many of them were produced?

By the way gave 800.00 for it since he did remember me and i promised to have it towed out tomorrow!!

And any advise on what i need to change out on these cars to make a daily driver would be helpful since i have done no research on the forums yet!

thanks guys
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:09 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
A '73...

is a great year, as it has the smaller, European style bumpers, as opposed to those "bumper car" things that were added to the line from '74 on...

Get a bill of sale and titling documents and take them to the dealer. The parts department should be able to hook you up with a key; it usually takes about 2 days. Actually get 2 keys, one to use and one to loose.

If you opt to not change the key [and attendant lock cylinders] you might want to consider a new license plate number... as you said the car is something of a "rare bird".

After sitting for so long, the car may have some "gremlins". Task one is to get the car running, then prepare a "punch list" from there.

Good luck,

JR
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 11:38 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2006
Vehicle: 93 300te 93 500sel euro 96 s500 euro sold 94 s420 sold 99 cl500 RIP 91 300ce SOLD 99 clk cab garbage
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
thanks for the advice. The problem with getting the key is that i have to have the title in my name. I keep all of my vehicles registered in KY but i live in GA. Insurance is so much cheaper in KY! SO in order to get the title in my name i have to drive it up there and take it to the court house for inspection. So i will have to jury rig it first to get it started at the least.

Just out of curiosity what do you mean by a new license plate? I have a bum foot now and I am on pain killers so forgive me if i missed what you meant but i just dont understand!

thanks!
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-19-2008, 01:01 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I was suggesting...

that the original owner might recognise the car, if seen on the street [once running] and still have a key... gone in less than 60 seconds. If you are transferring title to another state, then that point is more or less moot.

I was able to get my extra/replacement key from the dealer with just the purchase contract from the used car dealer from whom I had purchased the car. Title had not been transferred to my name at the time, as the paperwork was still being processed between the original selling dealer and the DMV.

That is why I said take a bill of sale and the titling documents to the Mercedes dealer and you may have a way to go... They will photocopy the documents, and then fax them to the central facility that actually cuts the keys. You obviously will need the key in order to get the car properly titled in KY and dealer/Mercedes should understand your dilemma.

The other option is to buy a complete new set of lock cylinders and keys. That too will solve your problem, but is a pain to install...

Good luck,

JR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in