LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 05:49 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Talking fuel injection or carbs?

I'm thinking about getting a 1972 Mercedes 250C? I want a reliable daily driver classic that I can put a lot of miles on. Are these cars reliable (engine,electric, build quality etc.) Are these cars expensive to maintain and have a lot of rust issues, How's the gas mileage on these cars(it's a six)? Is the fuel injection version better than the carbs ? Thanks for the quick feedback everybody. Can anybody tell me if I should go with fuel injection or the carbs?

Last edited by mike c; 04-17-2008 at 08:02 PM. Reason: get more info...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 06:54 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The 250C

is a great car; I have owned a couple of them in the past. I am not sure that I would want one as a "daily driver" though.

The dual Zenith carbs can be a bit "fussy" and you are on a 12K mile major service interval.

You didn't indicate your location, but if shopping, I would go with a "sunbelt" car, rather one that has been on salt laden roads.

Gas mileage... well, 20 on the road [maybe], 12-14 around town, depending on how much you like the "go pedal". My V-8, W210, gets 19 mpg mixed driving, and 27+ on the road, as a comparison. The 250C is a definite "looker," but is old technology...

Good luck,

JR
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2008, 08:01 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
These cars really are amazingly enjoyable, and can be used as everyday cars if they're kept up...the bad news:

- if they've been neglected by xx previous owners, they may have some initial needs, which can get expensive quickly if you let a professional do the work.

- like all old cars, look for rust in the structural spots on these cars (frame, firewall, trunk and suspension attachment areas. Can't stress enough the importance of finding a dry, solid car.)

- most people want an everyday driver to be like an appliance, carefree, trouble-free. If you want one of those, get a five-year old Honda or Toyota. You'll also get a car that, along with being trouble-free, is devoid of character, and let's face it, the little quirks about these cars is what makes them fun.

The good news: maintenance and replacement parts are fairly easy to find...and the car is very easy to work on. A good set of metric tools and the internet and you're good to go.

One thing you won't get with a 5-year old econobox: the thumbs up and admiring looks you inevitably get in one of these classic coupes.

"...Forward...unflinching, unswerving, indomitable, till the whole task is done and the world is safe and clean."- WSC
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-16-2008, 04:47 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Vehicle: 1964 230SL (euro) and 1973 280C (euro)
Good choice

Mike: you're getting good advise about a good choice of daily driver. You may also need to consider 280C in order to have a few in your market search to choose from. Here in CA as long as its born before '75 you don't need SMOG, so I'd say don't get a 1975 or +
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-21-2008, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1972 250
nice car

I have the exact same car. I'm in the process of fixing it, but so far the one of the only problems are the carbs, which most likely need to be rebuilt after so many miles of dirt/wear build-up. So in that case fuel-injection would be wise. I wouldn't recommend a daily driver, as a classic car will decrease in value with more mileage. But man, these cars are soo nice when they're all buffed out and shiny new. They're built like tanks too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in