1972 250C - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-08-2008, 11:04 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Fuel injected M110 engines are a vast improvement over their carbed counterparts.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
I've had five 250C's and one 280C. And done a fair amount of troubleshooting for others. So I am not exactly coming at this from a theoretical standpoint.

I had 'way more trouble with the Zenith's: vacuum leaks, top-plate warping, shaft/bushing wear, secondaries sticking opren, and general adjusting. Getting the heat risers to work right was a major pain, and expensive.

With the Solex, once the choke and pull-down were set right, it worked well and was mainly trouble-free. It's also easier to get parts if you need them. And I believe you can get a replacement from Pierburg. This was with a '73. I think they got more complicated as emissions got tighter.

Just my real-world $.02.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-09-2008, 09:26 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
The Zenith carbs...

can be a pain, no doubt about that. I too owned several /8 cars with them. Most of the problems arise from "ham handed" mechanics working on them, IMHO. Over-tightening the air filter housing, not regularly freeing up the heat risers, etc. This kind of thing takes place as the cars age and subsequent owners shortcut the maintenance.

You are correct that the '73 was not bad at all, but those that followed were something of a nightmare. DB modified that carb over 40 times [in small ways] in an attempt to make it work, but once the emissions rules tightened up, they were hardly trouble free. Quite the contrary [and I was "in the business" at the time]. The "de-tuned," 1974 and up W114, equipped with the carburetted M110 was a "slug"... I have driven many, owned none.

JR
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-11-2008, 04:07 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Apr 2008
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Talking about the cushion between the pilot and copilot seats, you're right they were made for another person to fit, normally a child. My father bought a brand new 280s in 1970 and requested this cushion in the middle as well a the column shift to the MB England, it had an little extra cost but it paid well as we were 4 sibblings and mom and dad always took my little sister with them in that cushion seat. By the way, I have my dad's request form from MB England in were he requests this and othe little extras as well as the invoice. Cheers
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 04-22-2008, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Finally, someone knows about this cushion!

The thought of putting a kid on that thing and going down the road (at any speed) these days is mind-boggling. The cushion fits perfectly, but the potential for launching the unfortunate kid into the dash or windshield is too awful to think about.

Wait a minute...my dad's '61 DeSoto had a dash made of steel, no seat belts, and I rode in the front all the time. How times change...

"...Forward...unflinching, unswerving, indomitable, till the whole task is done and the world is safe and clean."- WSC
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in