LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:29 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Post 1963 190D Questions

Hey all, I'm new here obviously. I'm looking at a '63 190D that's up for sale and I have a bunch of questions. My first major concern is parts availability, I've done some web searching and am not coming up with a lot for this car. Nothing on things like starters, alternators, clutch discs, etc. I may need an overhaul kit as the current owner says it runs but needs a rebuild. I haven't looked at it in person yet so I do not know what he bases this on.
How long a run did the 2.0 used in this car have so I know what years parts can interchange. I hope this isn't some oddball duck that only was produced for a year or two. That'd be my luck anyway.
The seller says it's a 4 speed, I see that it's on the column so Mercedes made a four-on-the-tree? I had a '67 Toyota with a 4 on the column, but I don't know hardly a thing about Mercedes.
What kind of mileage do these cars get? I assume the engine's durable as long as Mercedes has been in the business.
Any input is appreciated, I want to be sure of what ground I'm standing on before taking a leap and buying something of which I know very little about.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2008
(Thread Starter)
Maybe that's a 1.9 and not a 2. I'm not sure, I'm reading conflicting stats. Anyway, it's a 4 banger diesel from '63.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 06:32 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ML320, 2005C240 4matic wagon, 1962 220SEb, 2002 CLK55 Cabrio, 2014 C300 4matic, 2000 CLK55
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
There were not that many moving parts on these models. The 190D used some of the same engine parts from the late 1950's 180and 190 round body diesel engines as well as the later 200 and 220 finney models from later years up until the early 220/ of the 1970's. Starters were much larger in the diesels than in gas models anf geneators evolved to alternators with external voltage regulaters and later internal voltage regulators. Front end components were the same for gas and diesel models and post 1964 disc brake spindles could be substituted for the original drum brake spindles when replacing the worn king pins. The rear axel was the swing type with many components interchangable from year to year. Gear ratios varied by year. The real shortcoming of the 1963 190D was that you could time 0 to 60 speeds with a calender instead of a stop watch. The fuel injection pump could be recalibrated to provide a slight improvement, but not enough to make a noticable difference. Once you attained cruising speed the drivability improved significantly and you could comfortably drive for hours and hours.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: Nikes
Originally Posted by yaki b View Post
The real shortcoming of the 1963 190D was that you could time 0 to 60 speeds with a calender instead of a stop watch.

hahaha i almost spat out my drink when I read that
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 11:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Anatoon View Post
Maybe that's a 1.9 and not a 2. I'm not sure, I'm reading conflicting stats. Anyway, it's a 4 banger diesel from '63.
The 190Dc was actually a 2.0L (1988cc). When the 200D came out in 1965, it retained the same displacement but went to a 5-main bearing crankshaft instead of the 3 in the 190Dc. The 190Dc W110 ran from 1961 to 1965. The upgraded 200D ran from 1965 to 1968. There was also a 230 built from 1965 to 1968 which had the M180 straight six gasoline engine, and of course the 190c and 200 gas models. The models are very similar with the exception of a few body, trim, and interior details. Front disc brakes were added as standard mid-year 1963, so the one you are looking at might have them.

Four on the tree was standard for Mercedes until the 200 and 200D model came out, when a four on the floor became an option. As for mileage, factory specs were 26 mpg, but 30 is doable, and maybe a little more depending on your driving.

As for parts, body-wise you are mostly looking at used, a few aftermarket (which usually fit more collectable Mercedes models also), and of course the Mercedes dealer can get some new (for a price). As for mechanical parts, they are still available from the dealer and some aftermarket sources. Being the suspension is the same as more collectable models, those parts will definitely be available. If the engine does need a rebuild, I would inquire on part prices before you decide to buy if money is an issue. Get a copy of Hemmings Motor News, as there is usually a good number of parts suppliers advertising in there.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned rust. The bodies were known for rust in many areas, including the rear wheel arches, rocker panels, floor boards, front fenders (headlight area and lower corner), and front bumper supports to name a few spots. And if the front ends were not greased on a regular schedule, they will wear out in areas of the king pins and A-arm pivots. And the hydraulic clutch is a minor annoyance when they leak or get air in the system (usually from non-use). And like has been said, acceleration is tortoise slow by today's standard, 0-60 in around 30 seconds with a top speed around 80 mph if you are brave enough to wrap the engine up that fast. But they do drive nice once you get up to speed.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-17-2011, 05:59 PM
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2011
Dont know if anyone will see this as this is an old thread but owned a 63 190D

I owned a 63 190D. Bought it off an old farmer when I lived in Idaho. Sold it to a rancher I worked for in Idaho when a 84 300SD became available. I know he sold the 190D later. At the time it was fairly easy to find parts for the 190. Had to replace all the tie-rod ends first. Replaced all the coil style glow plugs, but #4 cylinder kept eating them. Found another 63 out of Salt Lake UT. The body was shot but engine any tranny were good so swapped both the engine and tranny. Found a fast glow plug kit on ebay and put that in. From my memory the engine was a OM614 4 cyl. Once the work was done it ran great and may still be running to this day. Things to watch for and will need replacing are all the throttle linkage and shift arm nylon ball ends. It was a fun car to drive as you don't see to many column shifts anymore. Just make sure you plan appropriately before entering traffic. IE, any car closer than a 1/2 mile when making a right onto a 35MPH street.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We had a 190Db '61 ponton, top speed downhill was 65mph. We had a radio but could never hear it with the engine running!
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 02-20-2011, 08:24 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jul 2005
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 208 Post(s)
Originally Posted by Ed Mclass View Post
We had a 190Db '61 ponton, top speed downhill was 65mph. We had a radio but could never hear it with the engine running!
Ha Ha Ha +1
Had a '65 black 040 with Red MB/tex. Loved the car, hated not being able to keep up with traffic without beating up the poor motor. Reluctantly had to let it go 'cause I just didn't drive it anymore and it wasn't good for the car to just sit. Finnies are so cool with the fender mounted directionals and fantastic M/B suspension. It looked like a 50s car and drove like a 70s car (save for the low reving motor). And that black was just as deep as the ocean when it was polished up!

'89 300E
'90 300CE
'93 400E
'93 500E
'00 E320
'73 Alfa GTV
'77 308GTB
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: