post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 11:40 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Vehicle: 1983 280se, 1990 sl500
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
help---my car smokes like crazy!!!

I have a W126 280SE, a DOHC. About a week ago I noticed that it would smoke when I accelerate. Yesterday, I noticed that the oil dipstick side was full of oil, and cleaned it up. This morning, I drove it and about 10 minutes after I smelled smoke and looked at the rear view mirror and it was smoking really bad! If I do not accelerate, smoke is minimal, but when I do- you can hardly see the car behind you! The oil seems to be coming out of the dipstick tube and splatters all over the side of the engine and exhaust! I think it is building way too much pressure in the crankcase and exits thru the dipstick tube! My PCV might be clogged up! Where is it located and how do I clean or replace it? Any other problem you think might be causing this? Can't seem to get the idle right too...it shakes, and never steady. Any help or input will be appreciated....
Thanks, Lex
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 2000 ML320, 2005C240 4matic wagon, 1962 220SEb, 2002 CLK55 Cabrio, 2014 C300 4matic, 2000 CLK55
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
It sounds like excesive blow by. A compresion and leak down test are in order.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:08 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 75 450SLC W107
Check the oil level. Make sure even though you are losing oil thru the dipstick, the oil level is not rising! If it is check coolant level.
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-24-2008, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Oil is about 1/4 qt. low, coolant is ok, and no oil in coolant reservoir and no milky substance in dipstick and oil cap. How do I get to the PCV, the hoseline(PCV) seems to be the one just under the ventline that goes to the air cleaner...is that it? I removed the hose and the PCV is inside the valve cover?! Do I have to remove the valve cover to get to it? Can I also adjust the valve while I'm at it, what clearance on intake and exhaust? Any suggestions will definitely help.
Thanks, Lex
Attached Images

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 12:24 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
On the older Mercedes engines...

many were built with no PCV valve at all, just a breather with a "flame trap" insert. I am not sure about your version of the twin cam.

I also agree with the poster who said that it sounds like excessive blow-by.

Best get the engine checked out before you blow all the oil out of the dipstick tube! Adjusting the valves on the M110 requires a special wrench, which used to be available from the dealer or from companies like Hazet.

Good luck,

JR
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thanks for the immediate reply. I did not see the PCV valve, I just pulled the hose and felt like a screen under the valve cover-intake side, looks like an insert type - is that it? How do you clean this thing? Do I have to open the valve cover and get it off and clean it or replace it...or can I do something else like, spraying it with a cleaner? I need a mirror to see what it looks like.

Last edited by kyohan; 03-25-2008 at 11:12 AM.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:53 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Vehicle: 2000 ML320
my Range Rover had a similiar problem and it didn't have a pcv valve it has this brillo pad in there I took it out and cleaned it and the problem was solved.

I would try to clean it and re-install or pull it and see if it stops blowing oil out the dip stick. If it doesn't stop then I would do the compression tests.

"Only two defining forces ever offered to die for you, Jesus Christ and the American G.I. One died for your soul, the other for your freedom."

1991 Range Rover Classic (His)

1989 Jaguar XJ6
2000 ML320 (hers)
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 06:10 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 2003 Mercedes Benz E500
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I believe...

you are going to have to open the valve cover. At that point a valve adjustment would most likely be a good thing.

The mesh is the "flame trap" and can be cleaned with brake or carb cleaner.

A new value cover gasket, together with five triangular seals for the spark plus areas will be needed.

I would shoot brake cleaner through the breather hoses and lines to make sure they are also clear...

As indicated above, I suspect you have a good bit of "blow-by" and having the crankcase breather system clear is imperative.

Sorry, I don't have the clearances for the valve adjustments handy, I sold off all my older Mercedes factory "tech books" a long time ago.

JR
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-25-2008, 11:39 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2008
Vehicle: 75 450SLC W107
I am asumming that since you were looking for a PCV Valve this is a gas motor. Valve adjust may be needed but will not stop blow by. Clean the oil wic (flame trap) then pull the spark plugs see which cylinder has a fowled plug, then compression test that cylinder. Is there any chance you changed oil with like 10w? Make sure the filter in the air clear attached to the valve cover is clean! Not likely this would happen within a week. It has to be something stupid!

Last edited by JJSMILHOUS; 03-25-2008 at 11:43 PM.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-26-2008, 11:08 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Smile

YOU GUYS ARE ALWAYS READY TO HELP, AND I APPLAUD EVERYONE FOR THAT...WE ARE LUCKY TO HAVE MEMBERS LIKE YOU TO HELP US. I WILL WORK ON THIS ON SATURDAY. ALSO, DO I NEED A SPECIAL TOOL FOR ADJUSTING THE VALVES? NO, I USED 15W-40, I'M IN KUWAIT, AND BOY IS IT HOT HERE! IS IT ADVISABLE TO USE A COLD AIR INTAKE WITH A K&N FILTER HERE IN KUWAIT (THAT'S WHAT I HAVE ON RIGHT NOW), CONSIDERING THEY ALWAYS HAVE SANDSTORMS HERE AND VERY DUSTY EVERY SINGLE DAY...I MEAN SAND/DUST INSIDE AND OUTSIDE THE CAR-IT'S REDICULOUS....IN FACT, YOU HAVE TO WIPE DUST OFF EVERY SINGLE DAY! NO KIDDING-THAT'S HOW BAD IT IS!
ANYWAY,THANKS AGAIN TO ALL FOR THE VERY GOOD INPUTS!!!! MORE POWER TO ALL!

THANKS,LEX

Last edited by kyohan; 03-26-2008 at 01:33 PM. Reason: CHANGED WORDINGS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in