LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-01-2008, 10:49 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Searching

I have been searching, searching for a nice older MB for months upon months. Now, I found a '71 280S, one owner, 147K, absolutely beautiful interior and exterior (choc. brown). Unfortunately, it has been sitting for several years and won't run (it'll crank, but not run). The gas has probably turned into varnish by now. So, other than replacing fuel lines and filters, flushing the gas tank, replacing the fuel pump, and cleaning the carbs, what else might I get into that would bankrupt me? How much is the above likely to cost? Appreciate any help and advice I can get.
Hemersam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-02-2008, 05:00 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: MB W201 190 E
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to Raju
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemersam View Post
I have been searching, searching for a nice older MB for months upon months. Now, I found a '71 280S, one owner, 147K, absolutely beautiful interior and exterior (choc. brown). Unfortunately, it has been sitting for several years and won't run (it'll crank, but not run). The gas has probably turned into varnish by now. So, other than replacing fuel lines and filters, flushing the gas tank, replacing the fuel pump, and cleaning the carbs, what else might I get into that would bankrupt me? How much is the above likely to cost? Appreciate any help and advice I can get.
Hemersam
The 280S without doubt is a lovely and desireable car,first of all check the title and get a carfax done, check the entire car for rust, vaccum lines for leaks, electricals (starter, alternator, other motors like windows, wiper, lights, switches, most contacts would be sulphated and will need to be cleaned) brakes, the cooling system, you will have to replace all the hoses, clean the carbs, may be replace jets and diagphrams.

Other than this ALL, I repeat ALL, the oils must be replaced, you may also have to check the valve train. The transmission and the final drive may also need attention.Weather stripping on the windows, doors, locks, trim, carpets, the vinyl on the dash, meters (if the meters are working, the cables will have to be cleaned and lubricated), there may be a number of other issues.

Please do not think I am discouraging you, but these are issues common to a neglected car. On the other hand these cars are very well made and built to last, parts are still available, you will need to track them, but with the internet, it is much more easier, once you are done, the sheer driving pleasure will make it all worth while. Once these issues are addressed, these cars need very little care other than routine mantainance, and they are head turners.

The financial outlay will depend on the basic condition and the acquistion price, take a rough estimate to get the car running from a reliable and independent shop (ask members on this list living close to you, they will be able to recommend someone), once the car is on its own steam, you can DIY the smaller issues over a period of time. But be warned these cars are highly addictive.

Wishing you all the very best. Take care and drive safe.
Raj
From beautiful and exotic India.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in