1971 MB 280S Turbo Diesel. Is that Possible? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2008
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
I hope no more than $3500, but with this old junk its probably unrealistic. I plan to strip the car myself, strip the paint, take it a shop and have my friend take care of the rust and paint it. Then I will put it back together. This car is probably slow as fuck, smokes like a train, and burns oil like mother
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-15-2008, 06:42 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 1968 250SE
good luck with that budget. doing the majority of the old paint removal will be key to keeping your budget in line, but keep in mind that a mediocre paint job run about $1500-2000.
The engine and drive line work will be somewhere between $500 and ????? dollars. If the engine is smoking, the fuel distribution pump needs to be reworked. If the engine is buring oil, you'll need new piston rings, and new valve stem seals. While the engine is apart, you might as well replace all the bearings and seals with fresh ones, not to mention - getting the rotating mass (crankshaft, rods, pistons, crank pulley and flex plate) balanced for a smooth running engine.
Then there is a transmission rebuild
Realistically, if you can get all these things done for about $6-7000 you'll have a sweet ride.

Good Luck

Chris
post #13 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-16-2008, 07:13 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I just can't wrap my mind around why someone would put a DIESEL into a respectable car like a 108... Clattery, noisy, gutless, smoky. Sheesh.
post #14 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Realistically, if you can get all these things done for about $6-7000 you'll have a sweet ride.

Good Luck

Chris
Yeah and after 7 grand it will still be worth $3500
post #15 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:23 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaforcer View Post
Yeah and after 7 grand it will still be worth $3500
if he's trying to flip it for profit, he picked up the wrong car. This kind of project can very easily and very quickly turn into a money-pit. There are really two true choices:
1. get it running and sell it for some profit
2. open up your wallet and start building.

Of course, if you try to bring in "accountant-common-sense" into our hobby, we will all be committed by this Monday......
post #16 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:26 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 81' 300SD, 82' 300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The MB dieselhead in me says "COOL!", The MB purist in me says "WHY?" A MB enthusiast's worst nightmare, lol. At least they used a MB application. I'd rather see that in it than a small block Chevy V8.

1981 300SD DB881 ext./code #236 leather int. aka: thistle green ext./olive int.
1982 300D, DB877 ext./code #135 mb-tex int. aka: petrol green ext./creme int.
post #17 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-17-2008, 05:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
By the way, I never said it doesn't run. The car runs and drives like new It needs paint and a good detail.
post #18 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-18-2008, 08:45 PM
BenzWorld Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H-TownBenzoboy View Post
The MB dieselhead in me says "COOL!", The MB purist in me says "WHY?" A MB enthusiast's worst nightmare, lol. At least they used a MB application. I'd rather see that in it than a small block Chevy V8.
The beauty of our hobby is that we can do with our rides what we want and what our creativity and check books allow.
I like your little quip against my powertrain choice. Quite cute really.
I do have to ask, as you claim to be a purist - why the W126 wheels (in chrome no less) your W123? Those are not original, neither in wheel style and Benz never offered chromies........ hmmmmmm, we have a case of the pot trying to call the kettle black...... by the way, are all the parts that have been replaced on your car all from Mercedes Benz or did you source ANYTHING from an aftermarket source????

So, back to Mega - enjoy your ride. Its sweet. Heck - I'd give that TD an little boost, upgrade the turbo, install a nice big intercooler and shove some air into the engine to take advantage of all the fuel your distribution pump is dumping in....
Actually, what about finding a younger diesel that was rearended and swapping in the newer 6 cyl. TD powerplant and transmission?
Either way, enjoy your ride.
post #19 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes W123 300TDT and W124 300DT 24V. Honda CBR SC50 954
Send a message via MSN to gogobecas Send a message via Skype™ to gogobecas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gustav View Post
Actually, what about finding a younger diesel that was rearended and swapping in the newer 6 cyl. TD powerplant and transmission?
Either way, enjoy your ride.
Hello

I am from Portugal and I have a W108 MB. I’ve been thinking on that for several times! I also asked some help and opinion to “Mercamad6.3”. I already have the OM606 24V turbo diesel engine as some turbos and fuel pumps and waiting for the 6 speed gearbox to arrive. I didn’t make it yet for several reasons. First of all was lack of time. But I never drove a W108 car (it needs some restoration). I also have a W124 300D. And here are my big doubts. The W124 is a great car and I love it, but I really like the looks of the old W108 and W109 cars.

It’s a lot easier to get the modification on the W124 as it is just bolt on. I really don’t know how a nice W108 handles on the road and having in mind a “superturbo” W108 lets me preoccupied. W124 models can handle power very well and be comfortable also. We also have some more freedom here to have speed on the road – as there’s not so many radars or police control, so I go 110 mile/hour on highway trips very often.

I really had in mind making this on the W108 car and letting it as near as stock your eyes can see. Interior stock having the outside with a different set of wheels (Old Rial that I have or old AMG ones) and larger tires. So what you really would see is a “regular” W108.

My only long term experience with old Mercedes Benz was with a W115 240D 3.0 (300D in U.S.A.). It is also a great car and I sold it to a very nice friend of mine, but I don’t how it compares to a W108.

Owners of W108 cars please let me know, how a W108/109 car feels in terms of comfort and handling against modern cars and also W114/115 models. What would you choose, W108 or W124, for this project? I pretend to keep one of the cars for many years.

Best Regards
Lic*nio
post #20 of 26 (permalink) Old 01-23-2008, 06:24 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes W123 300TDT and W124 300DT 24V. Honda CBR SC50 954
Send a message via MSN to gogobecas Send a message via Skype™ to gogobecas
Hello Again.

Megaforcer. Any news about the W108 diesel Benz? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in