250 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)

[B]I am looking at a '72 MB 250 for sale. It is a beautiful car, one owner, 93K miles (verified by records, and hasn't been stored for a long period of time), asking price $4,200. The a/c needs charging (which may mean a lot more than that?), but otherwise, the car is in excellent shape, inside and out---NO cracks in the leather, seats or dash. My question is about the engine: is the 250 a reliable one or trouble prone? I believe it is a carburetted engine; is that a problem? It seems like it's a little pricey, but I'm not knowledgable about that model. I'd appreciate any helpful advice you can give. Thanks
Hemersam
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-12-2007, 05:30 PM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: Mercedes/BMW/Ferrari
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
The w114 Chassis will always be my favorite,,having owned just about every model including a 72 250C cabriolet that I hand built,I can tell you the weak points of teh car are
1. they rust fairly easily in the trunk/rockers-check it very good
2.the heads tend to crack easily when overheated
3.ignition points just plain suck-but can be replaced with electronic ignition from Crane or others
5. Carbs suck literally the bodies warp and cause air leaks which gives more headache and anyone should have-look to replace with Webers-they still offer the complete conversion kit
6.the Speedo/odo needs a rebuilt about every 7-8 years or so

these are things I have noticed with my many W114 I have owned--
By the way it should have Mercedes Benz Tex-which is a very tough vinyl that will outlast even the best leather-only W114 with Leather were special ordered when new and very expensive-95% that have a material that looks like leather is MB-TEX

The york compressor robs serious power when in use-but they do have better compressor available these days--all in all one of the best Mercedes Benz ever built in my opinion-from 1996-2002 my daily driver was some form of W114...I have had 2 coupes/5 sedans/2 Long Wheel base sedans/1 truck/1cabriolet-I built some cabriolets back in the late 90's...
Good luck

"I don't know anything for a fact",but have lots of opinions that might or might not pan out!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in