LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 01:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1970 250

I am looking at a 1970 250. It is automatic, has AC and has about 57 grand, original miles. There is a bit of rust on the driver side door. It also has been sitting for about 15 years but she says it runs. She is asking 2000. Is this a fair price? I know it may be hard to say without pictures but I do not have any. I also don't know much about it other than straight six. So, if any of you could clue me in to what to look for. Any info would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:07 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2006
Personally, I would not touch a car that had been sitting for 15 years. Was it prepared for non-use properly? Was it kept inside or outside and in what kind of weather? After that amount of time, there could be rust inside the engine ($4000+ to replace). The only way to tell would be to disassemble it and that would cost big bucks. I'd say its worth more like $200 rather than $2000.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:17 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1972 250
Send a message via AIM to kayvon
just look for rust in the wheel wells and if it runs fine and is in good condition, it seems like a fair price. those motors are pretty bulletproof -- i have a 72 250 and i damn near daily the thing to school(drive it like 4 days a week on average).
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:19 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Nov 2007
(Thread Starter)
Cool

She said it was garaged but pulled it out like 4 months ago to try to sell it. Her husband died, that is why she is selling it. I do not think she has any idea if it was properly stored. I am also worried about dry rot but if it was garaged, maybe not such a big deal? She also has an old vintage cadillac or buick for sale too. Maybe her husband kept up on them over the years.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1972 250
Send a message via AIM to kayvon
sounds like you should be safe

i mean i bought mine from an auction for a little under a grand, ive put money into it to fix it up a little, but its a solid car

you also must realize this is an old car, so things will go wrong - if its nothing major, there will be little problems(ex: my heat fan does not work, so i only really get if im moving) so you must be willing to put some time or money or both into it if you want it to be "perfect"

also you must realize that this is most likely not an investment opportunity and you should only be doing this to have a car for yourself - not to turn around and sell
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 11-29-2007, 11:26 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2007
Vehicle: 1973 280SE 4.5L, 1974 240D, 1984 300D Turbo
Doesn't this car have the strait 6 with the dual carbs? I hear these are a pain to work on.

I recently bought a 72 280se w108 for under a grand. Solid daily driver, needed minor work and paint.

I'd low ball her and if she doesn't budge, walk away. To many things could go wrong with a car parked for that long, and there are plenty other vintage Mercedes out there if your patient.

good luck
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-03-2007, 06:53 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2004
Vehicle: 03 CLK320/82 300D Turbo
What the guys above said: know what you're getting yourself into. Ask: what am I going to use the car for? A quick flip to make money? A cool daily driver? Low mileage cars which have been sitting, even if they were properly stored, are no longer 'almost new' even with amazingly low miles, as some would have you believe. Seals in the carbs, rubber bits in the suspension, hoses, vacuum lines etc. all deteriorate over time, and if you don't do the grunt work yourself, replacement can be hellishly expensive. You can almost count on the radiator needing replacement, and a new ones go for around $800 if you can find. (cheaper if you re-core). I'm not saying you shouldn't go for it if the car really strikes a chord with you; just be ready for the unforeseen.
Then again, what really cool modern car can you get nowadays for two grand? BTW, don't be afraid of the dual carbs, you can retro-fit Webers when the Zeniths finally wear out, which will work nicely.

"...Forward...unflinching, unswerving, indomitable, till the whole task is done and the world is safe and clean."- WSC
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-04-2007, 02:36 AM
Premium Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: 1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 1997 S500 / 1991 500 SL Euro / 1991 500 SL Japan
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Premium Member
For $2000 I would pass, if you are ready to spent that kind of money on a now 37 year old car you can certainly find a better example for the price.

Sitting for 15 years = big red flag. Many of the rubber bits do not age well regardless of storage conditions.

I would try to find an MB shop who specializes in the older models before cutting any deal. An in depth PPI will give you an idea of the true condition of this car.

- Steve

- Steve
1989 560SEC AMG Euro / 1990 300SE Euro / 1991 500SL Japan / 1997 S500 USA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in