Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

ticking noise at 70 degrees celcius

791 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  shoudy2005 
#1 ·
hi i am new to this forum and i have w123 model 79 have 83000 km on the odometer i have noticed something after changing valve guides,valve stem seals and replacing head gasket. the problem is when i start the car from cold start it start perfectly with no strange sound but i can hear a ticking sound at idle as if i put wrong octane fuel or driving at low speed with higher gear at nearly 70 degrees celcius and the sound gone when i press the gas pedal once to let the rpm drop when the car warms so what is the problem ? and also what is the things that i must change in its pcv system.

#2 ·
you need to adjust the valves better.What is happening is the engines oil is thinning out at normal operating temp,the clearance on the valves is too great to cope with the thinner oil and you can then hear it.You will notice it does it when you driving or acelerating but not when coasting etc ,right?. I won't go into the matter of oil pressure at torque levels etc but I can suggest you rectify for valve clearance problems.

#3 ·
I was going to post about a similar problem.

but I have done my valve clearance over the summer (+95' weather in DFW). While I was doing that I noticed that some of the ball studs had a wire clamp over them. Would lacking these clamps also cause the noise?

I can hear it when I have my foot on the pedal or accelerating but now when I lay off the throttle.

I can also hear it in park as soon as I start the car.

Same issue or the missing clamp?

#4 ·
You left them off...! ?! .Thats part of the problem, but first,you adjust the valves when the engine is DEAD COLD,after at least 24 hours of not running. The clips are designed to rprevent the rockers from bouncing around too much. You could also have worn ball studs which are comming loose.When adjusting the valves on mechanical tappets the ball stud adjustors should be tight,Not easy to move.

#5 ·
i think u r right because from 1 week i had a blown head gasket and also i weld the holes of the cylinder head and changed the valve guides and seals and after that i hear that sound and it appear at certain rpms. i also had another problem before the head problems and still until i have reached the speed of 140 and then the problem gone. the problem was that when i decelerates from the speed of 110 and 120 silver smoke appear from the exhaust and smeels burn oil but when i reach the speed of 140 and decelerates nothing happens and when i check the oil i have to add 0.5 liter at 3000 km is that a problem?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.