Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Please Help Me. Tell me that reasons not to buy 1974 W115 240D manual

2K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  SakoTGrimes 
#1 ·
Well I know nothing about W115. I am happy owner of automatic W123 300D and I love my car, I did some serious fixes mainly thanks to this web site. I became absolutely diesel fan. So here pops up pale blue original paint W115 240 diesel with immaculate parchment interior, very few rust spots here and there, 145K. $1000. I am thinking to go first thing tomorrow morning and get it. I love the aesthetics of the car but know nothing about technical aspects, weaknesses, etc. etc. Sorry for the idiotic post, I just can't rest calm till I see the car!

#3 ·
Give me an hour or so to get up to speed and I will try to think of a weakness of the 240D. I would recommend taking off first thing tomorrow morning to look at the car. If you get there some time in the afternoon the car is perfect for you.

Personally I love the looks of the 240's and the manual gear box would be a big plus to me. Just take your time test driving it!:)

#4 ·
Too late :((

Someone snatched her before I arrived (drove all the way from Pittsburgh to DC). I was begging charity people to hold the car for me, but they let it go to first buyer with cash.
Anyways, the positive side is that I want to learn as much as possible about /8. I find aesthetics of the car very pleasing, I would say beautiful. Something i never noticed before. Perhaps because of being preoccupied with W123 only!. If I ever get one, the first thing I will do is swap US bumpers into Euro ones.

#5 ·
I had a '75 115 300D... was one of the best Mercedes that I've ever driven. I really preferred it to the 123 chassis that I've driven. However, there is a bothersome weakness (and possibly even shared by the W123) with the heater fan. These are prone to failure and live up aginst the firewall under th3 dash, requiring hours and hours of labor to replace. (I was quoted $1200 labor alone by a local independent)... and without the fan, you really have no heat at all. Real bummer in an otherwise inepxensive and reliable car.

Bill

#6 ·
Actually, I still got heat out of my 76 300D when the heater fan gave up. When I first got it, insanely hot air would blow directly on my right foot, regardless of heater controls, and I found that in the winter if you left the vent open a small amount of heat would come out.

I loved my 300D and if it were a 4 speed I probably would have kept it, but I would much rather have a 123. The primer pump is a LOT earier to use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.