Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Bleeding Master Cylinder 72 280SE- tools, steps?

1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Floydf 
#1 ·
I had the front calipers off of my car for too long because one of the calipers that was shipped was not what came in the box. HATE it when that happens! Anyway, the fluid leaked out of the master cylinder and now I can't get the air out and the pedal just keeps going to the floor. By the way, I did replace the front brake hoses while replacing the calipers.

I'm figuring that I am going to have to take the master cylinder off and bench bleed it. I have never done that before. I could not find any prior threads when I tried to search the forum. I'm assuming this model does not have some type of bleed screw on it. Correct? Can someone tell me what kit (s) or fittings are required to bleed the air out, and where you would suggest I get them from? Some bleed kits only come with 2 fittings, but this has 3 lines coming out and I'm not sure what fitting size(s) would be required.

Thank you for your assistance!!

#3 · (Edited)
bleeding brakes

I've done this many times, just have two people and have the pumper do 3 slow complete pumps, hold down, crack the bleed valve open, with a piece of clear tubing into a clear glass jar with the tubing exit below the fluid so that it bubbles, Be prepared to use a quart of fluid and keep reservoir topped, use plenty. It takes time and pumping until clear fluid flows, no bubbles.

#4 ·
Brian, Thank you for your reply but I am still a little confused. Are you saying my master cylinder has a bleed valve on it? Where is it located, since I did not see one (not to say it isn't there, sort of like the fuel pump relay that was hidden under my right headlight...)? The master cylinder is what I am trying to get the air out of. I was already able to bleed the air out of each brake line at the calipers, pumping fluid into a container of fluid with the line submerged until no bubbles came out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.