Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1964 W111 trunk door key question

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  benzclassic 
#1 ·
Hi all.

I have 1964 SEB coupe.

I don't know the history , or who has done what to the car.

my drivers side door has a working lock with a smaller key than the ignition.

the passengers side lock does not work.. it appears as if a key is broken off in the slit. (the lock works fine from the inside)

the door key does not fit in the trunk at all.

i do not have an owners manual.. could someone help me out??

should the door key and the trunk key be the same (perhaps someone has switched locks on me?)

the trunk is unlocked, can i remove the cylinder and have a key made? ( I saw a few posts back about MB perhaps ordering a new key)

does anyone sell a kit to replace all the locks? (or again to the dealer??)

any help greatly appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
Check eBay for item from seller OEMautomotive4less; we've got a full complete original set of all locks and keys for the W110/W111 cars for sale right now. That includes the glovebox and trunk lock (which share a key,) all four door handles (coupes just need the front two) plus a locking gas cap (shares a key with the doors) and the ignition cylinder with key. All of the items are in perfect working order and just need to be cleaned up or rechromed; the mechanicals all work perfectly though, so if you just want to remove the lock cylinders and put together an original set of locks and keys with your current chrome, it is not very hard to do if you know how to work on your car.

#4 ·
Keys from the VIN Number

I had a similar problem with my 1965 220S and even have a post about it somewhere on here. I went to the local Mercedes Dealer and gave them the VIN for my 42 year old car. Believe it or not, they were able ask Mercedes in Germany if they had the code AND THEY DID. Two weeks later, I had a full set of keys and was able to open my trunk. (The people I bought the car from didn't have a key for the trunk)

There should be three different keys for your car. An ignition key, a door key, and a trunk key. Go to your local dealer and they should be able to get you the keys for YOUR car. That way, you don't have to change any of the locks and the the keys & locks will remain original for your car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.