Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

1979 Mercedes Benz 280 European Model

3K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  JMECHANICS 
#1 ·
Hello,

Recently purchased a 1979 280 Mercedes. Can I tell from the European vin number if I I have a CE, SLC, or SL? Also, I am in Cleveland, OH. Can anyone recommend a repair garage to have the A/C repaired and a restoration shop for the interior?

Thank you.

#2 ·
Sandilyn said:
Hello,

Recently purchased a 1979 280 Mercedes. Can I tell from the European vin number if I I have a CE, SLC, or SL? Also, I am in Cleveland, OH. Can anyone recommend a repair garage to have the A/C repaired and a restoration shop for the interior?

Thank you.
Yes, quite easily.

#4 ·
Check the first 6 digits of your VIN number. It should be something like:

123.053-##-######

The first six digits indicate the chassis style. The first three numbers represents the basic chassis type, the second three are the specific body styles for that chassis. A 280CE would be a 123 chassis, the SL and SLC are 107.

The CE and SLC are 2-door hardtops, while the SL is a convertible with a removable hard top. The SLC is basically a SL with the fixed top and no convertible top.

#9 ·
Look on the option plate ( if you don't have an Australian Compliance plate) for the top right hand numbers such as 625 ( australian delivery ). If your car is right hand drive and you think it came from somewhere else,it could be from Japan,Hong Kong,New Zealand,South Africa,Malaysia,Singapore, Phillipines. because it has '22' in the VIN it means it's petrol powered right hand drive."21' is left hand drive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.