post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 06:45 AM Thread Starter
tfm
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1969 280 SL Renovation

Looked at a wonderful 280SL in the last two weeks and really appreciate the feedback I got from my earlier post

I drove the car a couple of times, found a restoration shop that spends 50% of their time on Pagodas and had them spend half a day on evaluating the car.

Though first impression was good (mechanically very good), found a ton of stuff that needs to be done:

- all rubber, ie. hoses, belts, engine mount, seals etc need to be replaced. No service other than oilchanges done in the last 10 yrs.

- some rust, pretty minor considering the age as it is a Nevada car that needs to be fixed.

- which results in the need of a paintjob

- Transmission is at the end of its lifecycle

- Seats need to be reupholstered

- Softtop needs replacement

- tires are too old

Now here are my questions for you:
I got a quote for replacing all the tubes, belts, hoses, engine mounts including full service of the engine (60,000m service) at $2500 - does that sound reasonable?

Rust removal and paintjob at $5000 - same question

Paint: Car is original color baby blue (I think it is called Horizon Blue) with white interior. I am not a huge fan of the color, but don't mind it too much. What impact on value would it have if I change the color to a different original MB color?

Upholstery: Material appears to be vinyl rather than leather - has anyone got any inside on what was used 40yrs ago?

Softtop: does anyone have a source for a replacement softtop and how much do they typically run? It is unlikely that I ever put the top up, thus the question is if it is smart to buy a new one as they won't get any better being permanently in their cubbyhole.

Transmission (Auto) - anyone got a source for good rebuild trannies?

Tires - where the original tires whitewall tires? Any particular tire type you would recommend to stay original?

Tks a lot for your help
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 280 SL - 01.jpg (118.8 KB, 423 views)
File Type: jpg 280 SL - 02.jpg (127.4 KB, 594 views)
File Type: jpg 280 SL - 03.jpg (86.2 KB, 4393 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 08:35 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: Several MB's
Quote:
Originally Posted by tfm
Looked at a wonderful 280SL in the last two weeks and really appreciate the feedback I got from my earlier post

I drove the car a couple of times, found a restoration shop that spends 50% of their time on Pagodas and had them spend half a day on evaluating the car.

Though first impression was good (mechanically very good), found a ton of stuff that needs to be done:

- all rubber, ie. hoses, belts, engine mount, seals etc need to be replaced. No service other than oilchanges done in the last 10 yrs.

- some rust, pretty minor considering the age as it is a Nevada car that needs to be fixed.

- which results in the need of a paintjob

- Transmission is at the end of its lifecycle

- Seats need to be reupholstered

- Softtop needs replacement

- tires are too old

Now here are my questions for you:
I got a quote for replacing all the tubes, belts, hoses, engine mounts including full service of the engine (60,000m service) at $2500 - does that sound reasonable?

Does not sound too high.

Rust removal and paintjob at $5000 - same question

For aquality paint job that is reasonable but I would ask a ton of questions. Will it include taking ALL trim off, repaint all of the car including door jambs, undre side of hood, wheel wells etc?

Paint: Car is original color baby blue (I think it is called Horizon Blue) with white interior. I am not a huge fan of the color, but don't mind it too much. What impact on value would it have if I change the color to a different original MB color?

The color on this car is China Blue, Horizon Blue is much lighter in color. If you change the color it will diminish the value and the cost will be more than $5,000. You will have to have the engine compartrment, inside doors, dash,etc. repainted.

Upholstery: Material appears to be vinyl rather than leather - has anyone got any inside on what was used 40yrs ago?

The material is called MB Tex a vinyl, tht is nearly indestructible.

Softtop: does anyone have a source for a replacement softtop and how much do they typically run? It is unlikely that I ever put the top up, thus the question is if it is smart to buy a new one as they won't get any better being permanently in their cubbyhole.

There are many sources for the top replacement and places to buy the Hartz canvas top. If you are never going to put the top up then I think you will waste you money. With the top down in the well it will shink ans self destruct. save your money.

Transmission (Auto) - anyone got a source for good rebuild trannies?

No idea.

Tires - where the original tires whitewall tires? Any particular tire type you would recommend to stay original?

The tires were whitewalls. Do a Google search an classic tires. There are companies out there that make original looking tires that use modern technology radial construction.

Tks a lot for your help
See my comments in your post. I restored a 1971 280 SL about 20 years ago. It was a rotisserie, nut and bolt restoration on a Horizon Blue car. Before I would do anything I would shop around your area to see someone who knows the Pagoda and who has done a restoration or 2 on the car. These were close to being a hand built car and many of the parts were for this car only. One last bit of advice bring your check book since these guys require a bag full of money to restore.

Lou K
Several And various Autos
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 2004 E320
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
TFM ,

The color of the car in the picture's isn't horizon blue.....Horizon blue is a beautiful lighter blue which resembles the sky on a clear day....
post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-06-2007, 09:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: '78 Mog 416.141 DoKa
Quoted: 54 Post(s)
$5000 for bodywork and paint is pretty cheap - you better really trust them.

I had a quote from my local resto shop about 2 years ago that started at $7000 for paint only. Body work was the typical per hour deal. That paint quote was based on a complete strip down, of course. These guys do quality work on rods and muscle cars and know what they're doing.

1978 Mog 416.141 DoKa
1971 W113 280SL
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2007, 10:32 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: 71 280se 3.5 Cab, 06 C230, 06 ML350
If you want one of the best 113 restoration shops go here
SL-TECH Home Index

Gernold also will have any part you need.

5K for paint plus body work?? I wound up paying 12K for a quality strip, body work (Only a quarter size hole behind one light), and respray in original red. Mind you that was not the show quality job. As you've already been told body work is usually quoted by the hour sine they don't know what they will find until they start removing and stripping. As to the 2500 for the engine Gernold can definitively let you know if that is reasonable. I understand that those parts OE from MB are getting much more expensive.

IMHO -- if you are going to do this to an almost 40 year old car use someone that specializes in the cars and take the kind of pride in their work that you will in driving a great piece of German art when finished. A cheap job now is going to bite you in the ### later.

Mike

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in