Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

3.5 coupe

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  jim dorociak 
#1 ·
New to the group, had a couple of questions. Can any of the front sheetmetal off the 280 se sedan fit the coupe? Specificly I am thinking about fenders/bumpers/hood? Can a 4.5 v8 get installed? I remember years ago reading about a 6.3 engine that got installed but have not found that article again. I am in Southern California, who is local to me that has a driver or restored a Coupe? I live in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks). Thank you all in advance. Jim

#2 ·
111 body

Hi Jim,
The 108 body is totally different from a 111 body. Nothing(body, glass, chrome) will interchange. I suppose you could install a 4.5 engine but you might have to start messing with matching the driveshaft as I heard the 3.5 auto trans is different from the 4.5 trans. Make sure any mods you perform are totally reversable.

#3 ·
Tony thank you for the response. So it must be a better decision then to pick up a 3.5 coupe over the 280sec 6 cylinder coupe? Your thoughts. I take from your response keeping everything original is a better idea than creating a modified car.
Jim

#5 ·
Tony thanks again for your responses.
That was the same conclusion I had come to, I really think the low grill is the visual that I want and while I am use to hot rodding Porsches, I am really new to the MB camp. I had reasoned that maybe getting a 73 sedan and moving drive train and other compatable parts over to say a 250 SEC or a early 280 SEC might make an updated car.
Tony is there another website that more information about the Coupes and DIY is more active?
I have also considered a 560 SEC, but have a soft spot for the W111 body.
Jim

#8 ·
Basics on 111.026 Cpe & 111.027 Cvt...they made 3,270 Cpe and 1,232 Cvt. Production August 69/July 71. Some 802 Cvts and 495 Cpes came into US in 70 and 71. The reason for so few coupes is that the Europeans wanted an all weather car for snow etc. The convertibles are now running $90,000 plus. For need nothing cvt over $100,000. The coupes have not gone up much even tho they are very beautiful cars. I have both and closely follow them. The coupes, depending on condition, are going for $25,000 plus to about $38,000.I
have never seen a fully restored coupe for sale. I think these are "sleepers" and should be bought These are first rate MB collecter cars and real MB fans have them in their collections. Outstanding machines and the most expensive cars in the Mercedes line in 70 and 71 (except for 600's). Luxurious and real quality. Expensive to restore mechanically so buy a good one that does not need a lot of mechanical work.

#9 ·
3.5 Cab

I recently noticed a 3.5 Cab sold for nearly 200K in France. Nice to see these cars increasing in value. My coupe is a European version imported to Ca as a nearly new car. For a European version it is loaded with power windows/sunroof, heat absorbing glass, rear defroster, A/C, and it has a stick shift. Presently undergoing a total mechanical restoration. I hope to have it done in time to take it to "Hot August Nights" in Reno next year.
Tony

#10 ·
Tony 3.5 & disksbc thank you for the information. I had no idea only 1297 total 3.5 cars came into the US during its model run.
Tony have you kept a photo journal you can share?

Did you have to replace chrome pieces or have your pieces rechromed.

Jim

#12 ·
Tony - very nice. Your picture reminds me why I want a Coupe. What all needs to be done on the interior - seats, carpets, headliner, wood?
Mechanical - what exactly have you done, I realize the age of the car, but how durable are the old Coupes?
Jim

#13 ·
W111 Coupe

jim, the low grill is beautiful, get one.
Reality is the one i have now. 64 220SEC euro 4spd, sunroof...
The mechanical things, to me, are easy and cheap.
Body and interior restoration is expensive,
check out leather seat prices.
There are plenty of interchangeable mechanical parts common to sedans.

I have my 220SEc 64 down to the re-chrome somewhere in LA.
About $5,500 for every body part bumper to bumper,
(except for rear bumper light, has plastic)

#14 ·
Brian, I owned a 64 220 seb coupe in 1980 and always loved the comments, the looks and the feeling of driving such a classic. I knew if I was ever to get another one it had to be with a larger engine. I was able to refinish my own wood which came out great, but I can image with all the years that have passed since I owned one the wood will probably need refinishing. Where are you getting the seats upholstered (World Uph)? Do you have any pictures you can share? thanks -- Jim

#15 ·
Concerning the interior it needs carpet, wood refinshed, door seals, heater valves rebuilt and other assorted bits to make it perfect My leather is in good shape but a bit faded. I am trying to deceid if to redye or not. Overall pretty clean inside. My car had unknown miles when I bought it so I am completely going throught it mechanically. It drove fine when I got it but I could tell it had a lot of miles. Everything will be replaced or rebuilt to new. As was mentioned chassis parts are easy to find and reasonable-the engine is another matter. I took 1.5 years to get my stick shift transmission rebuilt. Outside it needs mostly new chrome, paint is 25 yeats old but still looks good except door dings. A great car to have if you enjoy doing your own wrenching.
jim dorociak said:
Tony - very nice. Your picture reminds me why I want a Coupe. What all needs to be done on the interior - seats, carpets, headliner, wood?
Mechanical - what exactly have you done, I realize the age of the car, but how durable are the old Coupes?
Jim

#18 ·
I used you guys some 16 years ago when I was restoring my 914/6. I came to the shop when you were in Camarillo/Oxnard area. I actually did a no no, in that I picked very expensive carpet from a Mercedes and have my Porsche carpets made. It was a pleasure seeing the shop and picking the capets for a custom set. I look forward to doing business again. Jim

#19 ·
Engine runs fine, good oil pressure and no noises but I know it has a lot of miles so I am replacing the timing chain, gears, chain guides, valve seals & cam oilers and all rubber parts. Depending on how enthuastic I get I may pull the heads and have them rebuilt. I think the lower end is fine.
jim dorociak said:
So Tony did you have major engine work, or did you get lucky? Is that on your list to do? Jim

#20 ·
Got the offical word from the lady of the house - no new projects until I sell existing ones. Soo I am trying to decide when to list my Porsche project and start selling parts. I have been doing a lot of reading about the 560 SEC, and also W140 500 sel.
So there -- two big MB Coupes and old stand by large late model sedan. I know each one is so different from the other, but they all have their good points. The 560 SEC or 500S will not need paint, rust repair, interior and probably no major mechanical work because of their age.
I know it takes a special person to go after and maintain the W111 Coupe, but oh what a feeling.
Jim

#21 ·
Well, after all the reading and soul searching, I am not interested in a W140 sedan based on all the problems, low resale values, and other peoples experiences. Just so you know I have had 180D, 220 seb coupe, 300SD, 420SEL, 500ML. Not new, but not as experienced as many of you are. Jim

#23 ·
That is one good looking 3.5 Coupe. It has been said I can not start another project until I unload my current one. After all my thoughts I do believe a Mercedes Coupe either a 280 sec or a 560 sec would fit my driving habits and life style. I am listing my project and parts trying to free up funds. Your car unfortunately is out of my price range. I am sure if you got one needing much work you could quickly invest that amount of money and still not get what you are offering for sale. Good luck with your upcoming retirement and selling your 3.5 Coupe. Jim

#24 ·
W111 Coupe options

Yes, the 3.5 is the "one" low grill is beautiful.
A tall grill can be updated with the dual overhead
cam "hemi" 6 cyl. If you wish power.
They are far more plentiful, therefore cheap(er).
For example, for $1,105 delivered, Needs motor and rust repair
I only have 280SE engines for this car
I know of a good 560SEc in Lomita area for sale reasonable.

#26 · (Edited)
Well guys I bit the bullet and found and bought a 1967 300se. It is rough, has some rust in the wheel wells, and the front cross member. Story on the car has been off the road since 1982. Car is showing 62,000 and because car has been off the road so long there is a chance it is original mileage. Motor runs, tranny shifts, but everything will need to be rebuilt/restored -- paint, chrome, rubber plus all the mechanical. But I am going to restore this 40 year old car and am planning on keeping this forever. It is metalic red with tan interior (currently has blue paint sprayed over that was not a great job) Because so few were made I plan on a correct restoration. Not a show car, but better than average street car to be used and enjoyed. To all my new friends please help when possible - Brian thank you already for the phone support and words of encouragement. Jim

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.