LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 12:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jul 2004
Vehicle: 1971 280SE 3.5 Coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Pic

I only took a few pics of my coupe before it went into the garage 2.5 years ago. It needs a lot of cosmetic work but I am mostly concentrating on the mechanical work for now to make it a relaible driver.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0020.JPG (64.3 KB, 113 views)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 01:45 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Tony - very nice. Your picture reminds me why I want a Coupe. What all needs to be done on the interior - seats, carpets, headliner, wood?
Mechanical - what exactly have you done, I realize the age of the car, but how durable are the old Coupes?
Jim
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 10:28 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
W111 Coupe

jim, the low grill is beautiful, get one.
Reality is the one i have now. 64 220SEC euro 4spd, sunroof...
The mechanical things, to me, are easy and cheap.
Body and interior restoration is expensive,
check out leather seat prices.
There are plenty of interchangeable mechanical parts common to sedans.

I have my 220SEc 64 down to the re-chrome somewhere in LA.
About $5,500 for every body part bumper to bumper,
(except for rear bumper light, has plastic)

Brian O
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-09-2007, 11:11 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Brian, I owned a 64 220 seb coupe in 1980 and always loved the comments, the looks and the feeling of driving such a classic. I knew if I was ever to get another one it had to be with a larger engine. I was able to refinish my own wood which came out great, but I can image with all the years that have passed since I owned one the wood will probably need refinishing. Where are you getting the seats upholstered (World Uph)? Do you have any pictures you can share? thanks -- Jim
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 08:43 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Concerning the interior it needs carpet, wood refinshed, door seals, heater valves rebuilt and other assorted bits to make it perfect My leather is in good shape but a bit faded. I am trying to deceid if to redye or not. Overall pretty clean inside. My car had unknown miles when I bought it so I am completely going throught it mechanically. It drove fine when I got it but I could tell it had a lot of miles. Everything will be replaced or rebuilt to new. As was mentioned chassis parts are easy to find and reasonable-the engine is another matter. I took 1.5 years to get my stick shift transmission rebuilt. Outside it needs mostly new chrome, paint is 25 yeats old but still looks good except door dings. A great car to have if you enjoy doing your own wrenching.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dorociak
Tony - very nice. Your picture reminds me why I want a Coupe. What all needs to be done on the interior - seats, carpets, headliner, wood?
Mechanical - what exactly have you done, I realize the age of the car, but how durable are the old Coupes?
Jim
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 10:47 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
So Tony did you have major engine work, or did you get lucky? Is that on your list to do? Jim
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-10-2007, 12:46 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Aug 2007
Nice car! When your ready for the carpet, door seals and dye, contact me and I will give you some reasonable prices.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-11-2007, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
I used you guys some 16 years ago when I was restoring my 914/6. I came to the shop when you were in Camarillo/Oxnard area. I actually did a no no, in that I picked very expensive carpet from a Mercedes and have my Porsche carpets made. It was a pleasure seeing the shop and picking the capets for a custom set. I look forward to doing business again. Jim
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 08:55 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Engine runs fine, good oil pressure and no noises but I know it has a lot of miles so I am replacing the timing chain, gears, chain guides, valve seals & cam oilers and all rubber parts. Depending on how enthuastic I get I may pull the heads and have them rebuilt. I think the lower end is fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim dorociak
So Tony did you have major engine work, or did you get lucky? Is that on your list to do? Jim
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 08-17-2007, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

(Thread Starter)
Got the offical word from the lady of the house - no new projects until I sell existing ones. Soo I am trying to decide when to list my Porsche project and start selling parts. I have been doing a lot of reading about the 560 SEC, and also W140 500 sel.
So there -- two big MB Coupes and old stand by large late model sedan. I know each one is so different from the other, but they all have their good points. The 560 SEC or 500S will not need paint, rust repair, interior and probably no major mechanical work because of their age.
I know it takes a special person to go after and maintain the W111 Coupe, but oh what a feeling.
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in