Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

3.5 coupe

4K views 30 replies 8 participants last post by  jim dorociak 
#1 ·
New to the group, had a couple of questions. Can any of the front sheetmetal off the 280 se sedan fit the coupe? Specificly I am thinking about fenders/bumpers/hood? Can a 4.5 v8 get installed? I remember years ago reading about a 6.3 engine that got installed but have not found that article again. I am in Southern California, who is local to me that has a driver or restored a Coupe? I live in Newbury Park (Thousand Oaks). Thank you all in advance. Jim

#28 ·
Hey Jim,
Congrats on taking the plunge. I too have just bought a 1967 250SEC here in Australia that needs some work. They have such lovely lines...
I am not sure if you know, but you won't want to lift the coupe as shown in the first pic once you have changed the subframe mounts, as the engine and entire front subframe will be hanging off them.
Good luck and keep us posted on your progress over the next few years!
Drew

#29 ·
where should I lift the car? Also it turns out that the car by the vin number is a 65 as best we can asertain it probably got registered first time in 67 and so the listed the car as a 67, but it is a 65 and is verified with Mercedes Classic. Jim

#30 ·
Hi Jim,
I don't have my manual handy right now, but you can put your 4-post jack points under where the tyre jack points are, but you can't let the front crossmember dangle in space. I haven't ever seen what the mechanic does when they do this. If no one else can shed light on this, I will ask the local Benz mechanic about what they do.
Also, seeing as you are now an official 'heckflosse' owner, you should consider signging up to the google group. Paste this into your browser.
The Mercedes Heckflosse - Finnie - Fintail | Google Groups
There are many cluey people on there, including Chris Johnson, who has about 35 of these cars (!) and knows them inside out. In fact, I may ask over there how to jack them up. You can't ever get too much info on these old cars!
Cheers,
Drew

#31 ·
I have already gone to the 300SE site and discussed with Chris, who uncovered the fact that mine is a 65 not 67. It seems many of these old cars got registered the year they sold not when manufactered. Just another part of the story these cars tell. Jim

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.