post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-16-2007, 07:14 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1964 220Sb Fintail
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Fintail Maintenance & Replacement

I dont know exactly where to post this thread but here goes.

Fintails are 40+ years old now and when I bought mine like most there was an obvious need for immediate work on body and engine.

That now done and some 8,000kms later its time to look at the rest of the car. I would like to extend my touring range and head further from home. Nothing is broken as such (so why touch it... I can laugh at myself...) however what are the other sensible part replacement modifications to ensure ongoing safe and reliable driving? I currently drive 5-600kms a day so a breakdown at the farthest point would be 'inconvenient' at best. I also intend to keep the car for a number of years.

What is the service life of ball joints? If I replace the shocks are there other pieces I should renew at the same time to save time and money at a later date? What about wheel bearings, not knowing if/when they have been previously replaced, what is a sensible working life? Likewise if I replace bearings is there anything else I should consider at the same time?

Is there a thread of separate forum on servicing tips for older Mercs along these lines? Any good (easy to follow) Merc books out there?

Thanks any practical advice !

Last edited by Richard 220Sb; 07-16-2007 at 07:24 PM.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 05:21 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Welcome to our little corner. I too have a 220S, a 1965, and I'm going through it right now.

First of all, the car has kingpins not ball joints. As long as they are properly greased they will last a long time. I have a grease gun with a flexible hose and I'm using Mobil ! synthetic grease. The key, is grease the joints, every moving joint has a grease nipple. The kingpin gets greased on the backside of the upright tube.

There are also two grease points on the driveshaft and two on the lower swing axle joints. Check the rubber cuff between the differential housing and the swing axle.

Make sure the brake hoses are new. Proper flare nut tools are required to undo the brake lines from the hoses. Check the rear brake shoes and cylinder for proper operation. The Ponton web site has lots of good info about this.

Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962)

Mercedes-Benz Ponton Workshop

If you have trouble passing grease through any joints, use a heat gun to soften the grease inside the joint, especially inside the kingpin tube. The other models of the same time also use the same suspension and there is allot of info out there. The m100 board has good tips,

M-100 Message Board

the pagoda forum also has good info.

Pagoda SL Forums

Get a repair manual as well. One thing I found out is that the W111 shop manual leaves out some info that is in the Ponton shop manual, i.e. the 190 and 220 shop manuals, I'm talking Ponton manuals. Get the spare parts table from MB as well, these show assembly view drawings of the car.

The Russian web site has many models.

Russian Web Site

spefically for the W111 220S

220S Spare Parts

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

Last edited by wbain; 07-17-2007 at 05:28 AM.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-20-2007, 04:38 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1964 220Sb Fintail
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Many thanks the great response. I had the nipples greased about a year and 4,000kms ago so they should still be in good order but I guess no harm in an annual squirt.

Wear and tear is an issue and I'm focusing on replacing rubbers at the moment, engine mounts, exhaust mounts, transmission and everything else as I go along. The car is riding much more smoothly as a result which in itself reduces wear and tear.

I've been around most of the sites you mention already, they're all good but it seems so difficult to exract servicing/replacement advice of the kind I'm looking for from the plethora of general good advice!

I shall keep pressing on !!
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: