LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-14-2007, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hmmm Reverse hard to find

I have a new(to me of course) 1966 200D with floor shift 4 speed. The shift linkage was really, really sloppy so reverse was very hard to find. I could, with persistence and serious left leaning pressure, eventually find it within a few minutes.

So I made a HUGE mistake: I ordered a set of bushings and fixed it. Now reverse is GONE. Gears 1 thru 4 are now tight and sure and true the car shifts like new when going forward. Except now reverse is impossible to find - It just isn't there. I think I could probably find it the old way - but I am subconsciously reluctant to put so much pressure on it now that I see how the linkage worked and realize you shouldn't have to put pressure on this.

I really think I will have to drop the transmission and look at the shift rails and forks. Anyone have any thoughts, experiences, guidance that would help me avoid this? Even a "Hey dummy, you have to push down to get in reverse" would be welcome right now!

Thanks a million in reverse - oops, I mean in advance ,

NCDiesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:28 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Does this transmission have external shift linkage . All my mercs are auto. Although I am seasoned auto tech and have ran into this on other makes so what has hapened in the past is the external linkage gets tweaked or bent the sloppy bushings allow you to find reverse howevever with extreme effort. replacing the bushings restores the geometry of the linkage making it more difficult or impossible to find reverse(or whatever gears are affected) hope this is helpful. DOUG CONYER ASE MASTER TECH
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jul 2007
(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by arthrdgls
Does this transmission have external shift linkage . All my mercs are auto. Although I am seasoned auto tech and have ran into this on other makes so what has hapened in the past is the external linkage gets tweaked or bent the sloppy bushings allow you to find reverse howevever with extreme effort. replacing the bushings restores the geometry of the linkage making it more difficult or impossible to find reverse(or whatever gears are affected) hope this is helpful. DOUG CONYER ASE MASTER TECH

It is external linkage. I thought the same thing(slightly bent linkage), so I used the shift linkage out of my parts Benz just in case and no go. Same problem. While the linkage was disconnected I tried to find reverse manually and couldn't find it by manipulating the shift lever that protrudes from the tranny cover. It is hard to manipulate though, so it may have just been that I did not have the strength/leverage to do it.

Thanks for the reply - I appreciate it.

NCDiesel
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in