Need help! #2 cylinder not firing and I'm 500 miles from home - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 08:39 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1966 300se coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation Need help! #2 cylinder not firing and I'm 500 miles from home

Drove my 300se/c to Cape Cod for vacation and found it was running on 5 cylinders when I got here. By pulling ignition wires I found that #2 isn't firing. The #2 cylinder is getting spark - I swapped the wire from the #1 to test the wire - no problem with the wire. I took the plug out of #2 and reconnected the wire and grounded the plug, turned the engine over and the plug sparked, no problem there. Then I took off the valve cover to make sure nothing catastrophic happened to the valvetrain - everything was in place and the valves moved like they should. Then I disconnected the fuel line for #2 at the injector, started the engine and fuel came out, then checked the fuel flow for #1 comparison and it seemed the same. I then removed injectors 1 and 2, blew some injector cleaner through (with my mouth, ick) and replaced, swapping injector #1 with #2, and #2 still isn't firing.

I don't have a compression tester but when I had the #2 spark plug out I started the engine and it seemed to run smoother, as if it no longer had the drag of a cylinder creating compression but not firing.

Could it be that the injection pump isn't putting out sufficient pressure to open the injector? The pump was replaced in 2005 and maybe has 3000 miles on it since it was done. I'm thinking about taking off the brass valve on top of the pump and checking that but I'm not sure I should be messing with that.

I found a mechanic in Brewster that may want to work on this but I'm 45 minutes away and I'd rather not drive the car that distance running like this. If anyone has any ideas I'd really appreciate the help.

Last edited by baltobenz; 07-10-2007 at 08:46 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 10:29 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1980 450slc
Your problem is either spark, fuel or compression. To me it sounds like you eliminated spark as the problem.

What type of fuel system is on a 66 300se? K-jetronic, D-Jetronic or carburator? If it is K-Jetronic I would start suspecting the fuel distributor but I would want to rule out compression first. I have seen compression gauges in the $20 range at harbor freight if that is an option?

Working on a car away from home is a lousy way to spend a vacation. I wish you luck!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
I have had spark plugs work fine on a bench test (not under compression) and not fire in use.
Try to remove another plug and swap with #2. Then try to swap wires between the two plugs.
If you can swap wires without change, you know it is the plug or cylinder. If you can swap plugs in cylinders and the problem moves, you know it is the plug.
Have you inpected the distributor cap? Does the contact inside the cap or under the wire have damage or corrosion?

Can you buy a plug (or new cap) where you are? Do you have any used/ spare plugs?
I do not think you will have a sudden failure of fuel system, valves or compression. The problem is likely wires or plugs.

benzfleet
1973 280 W114 (Driver - 140,000 miles)
1974 280C W114 (Now running - driven off and on this summer)
1968 200D (Engine rebuild planned)
1964 200 (gasser parts car) & 1966 200D (complete car - Got to run. Now to see if clutch can be repaired.)
1980 300D W123 (Parts car - engine runs, but trashed)
1981 240D W123 4 speed ( In sad shape when bought - many parts from '80 300D has back on the road. Needs work, but shows promise.)
1988 300TE W124 (Does not run. 180,000)
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:47 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I did swap wires but not plugs. I'll do the spark plug swap first thing tomorrow morning. I did check the distributor and found nothing unusual so I cleaned the contacts and put it back on. The distributor cap on a 300 is unique to that engine (check www.300se.org)and is expensive to replace ($400 +) so I imagine mine hasn't been replaced in a while though. I have a friend that brings his 600 to the guy in Brewster so I'll bring it to him if the plug swap doesn't pan out. Thank you for you input!!!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-10-2007, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix
Your problem is either spark, fuel or compression. To me it sounds like you eliminated spark as the problem.

What type of fuel system is on a 66 300se? K-jetronic, D-Jetronic or carburator? If it is K-Jetronic I would start suspecting the fuel distributor but I would want to rule out compression first. I have seen compression gauges in the $20 range at harbor freight if that is an option?

Working on a car away from home is a lousy way to spend a vacation. I wish you luck!
The 300 has a mechanical injection system, sort of like what's on a diesel. There's a general hardware store across the street from where I'm staying, I'll see if they have a compression gauge. Thank you!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 06:21 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1964 220Sb Fintail
Where are we upto, is the car cured ?? Is there not a local mechanic or Merc shop you could get help out?
Wish you well !
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-15-2007, 10:31 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by oughtsix

The engine uses mechanical fuel injection, much like the 230/250/280 SL of the same period.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 07-17-2007, 11:25 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard 220Sb
Where are we upto, is the car cured ?? Is there not a local mechanic or Merc shop you could get help out?
Wish you well !
I gave up trying to fix it myself and brought it to Euro Classics in Brewster. My friend brings his 69' 600 there, and it turns out that the owner has his own 66' 300se coupe, so I believe my car is in good hands.

It turns out that there is really low compression on #2 & #3 cylinders (60 psi) and not all that great on the others. The valve clearances were all correct, so it looks like the head has to come off. Blown head gasket? cracked head? cracked valves?... I'm just hoping all it requires is a valve job and has nothing to do with the bottom end. I would think it would have burned oil if the rings and cylinders were worn.

I decided to leave the car up there and caught a ride back to Baltimore. Thanks to all for your input and I'll keep you posted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in