Lowering w115 - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-28-2012, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560sl, 1973 220, 2009 ml350
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
another long dead thread for me to resurect, got a w115 220 from '73 and wanting to get airbags for it (to keep ladylike posture after loading a, well... a chevy v8 into it... i am ashamed)
benzmizer, if you're still on could you tell me where you got yours?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 04:48 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
Take a look in Hot Rod magazine - they advertise a lot of aftermarket airbag companies. One that comes to mind is Ride Tech. I've seen their stuff used on some of the restoration shows on the Discovery Channel too.
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 10:40 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
I air bagged my 108, used springs from Day Motorsports for my 126 and 110. You will get a lot of haters on here if you doing anything other than stock.

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon.

Feind Motorsports
post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-29-2012, 07:19 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2012
Vehicle: 1989 560sl, 1973 220, 2009 ml350
thanks for the tip grubeguy, will check it out.

jackasic, i'm normally a purist when it come to cars from makers that earn my respect as a mechanic. but with this car, well i can't get the parts and info i need to make it work as original, and it needs enough restorative work that it'd end up a car made by me based on a mercedes anyhow, so i'm going with that, it's a tribute. i plan to make it look like a box stock '73 220 with missing hubcaps (things are way too expensive, and i don't live in the best part of town) and a nice silver paintjob. under the hood it will hopefully take a couple seconds before an average person can notice exactly how out of place the heart of this beast is going to be. so yes, i hate that i must resort to chevrolet to get this car running, but i hope that i can do it at least some justice.

not a hater of mods, but not really a fan either. unless it's a bently grill on a buick regal, then i'll hate like an old man with a waterballoon fight happening on his lawn!
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-13-2015, 11:21 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2015
Vehicle: 1970 W115 200/8
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercmad6.3 View Post
Do you want looks ( lowering) or decent handling ( 4 matic) .If you lower your W115 you will not get both.believe me I have had lowered W114's and they are an absolute dog to drive in a normal situation.( rubbing tires,bottoming suspension banging underneath)
Terriffic handling is easily obtained by reconditioning all the suspension joints,with more modern adjustable shocks and fitting the Euro rear sway bar.It bolts in .
Want to get even better handling? source a back end from a W107 with anti dive links and bolt that in.
larger diameter wheels will connect with inner wheel house panels,and probably remove any good handling characteristics if lowering is still waht you desire..When new the German ( and other markets) had the 280E which will run to 130MPH on exactly the same suspension....and drive remarkebly well .If you could run that fast in your area, why would you want to spend the time and money converting to a 4 matic ?
In fact, if you want better handling buy a 190E .
I know this is an old thread but I have a question about lowering the car for handling. What's the right height for better handling with the W115 cars? And those adjustable shocks where can I find them?? what brand??
post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaelor View Post
I know this is an old thread but I have a question about lowering the car for handling. What's the right height for better handling with the W115 cars? And those adjustable shocks where can I find them?? what brand??
OK, suspension is a complex issue as many things change while you are driving. The tires do their best work when they are sitting with the tread face square and flat on the road surface, it's known as traction or adhesion. When the suspension goes through it;s arc while driving it is rotating around an imaginary center/ where the control arms attach to the chassis but during this arc the tires tilt inward or outward changing the available traction. Imagine an old VW Bug that has a lowered rear end. The arms in your car were designed to work the best at the cars designed ride height allowing the arc to travel through the best values. When you see custom lowered cars either the arms have been changed or the spindles have been changed or the actual handling is less effective. As for tires, the aspect ratio is the side wall height and that car was designed to be run on a taller tire. The taller tire allows a softer ride based on rise wall flex, when you install a low profile tire you lose a lot of that absorption of a rough road surface. That means the car will ride like a skateboard with hard tires. When I was still working I had so many customers that were pissed because they installed so 70 or 80 series tires and their car rode like crap after, but it looked cool and the real mad ones had hit a chuck hole and bent or broke a 300+ dollar wheel because the tire sidewall was too short to save the wheel. All this being said there isn't a best ride eight as it was designed into the car, the question is do you want cool or function. I always thought those cars drove pretty good with a nice set of Michelins on them. Just an attempt to make you consider your options before you get started.
Shakedown Street likes this.
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
My favorite stance is the stock height with some slightly taller than stock tires.

If you want to lower it, please put in some type of suspension that allows you to raise it right back up like some kind of air ride.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 11:05 AM
Cruise Control

Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: '87 300TD/'90 300D/'94 Quattro/'89 Vanagon TDI/'01 EV Weekender VR6
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1428 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Be aware that quite a few early model MBs regularly "hole" their oil pans, even at stock ride height--btdt. I like a lowered car, and have done it on both my 124s. My approach is to set them to MB factory Sportline specs, which is moderately lower than standard models. I would suggest a similar moderate approach to earlier models, unless investing $$$ in a full set of airbags with cockpit selectable ride height. Frankly, I think the extreme stance thing is irresponsible without this key feature
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:24 PM
w108,107 Parts Hoarder

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 4Keep:450slc5.0cab 280sl5sp 280se4.5 500seAMG 2sell:500sl92 380se83 300se86 350sl4sp 75slc MorInSig
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 1625 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeitgeist View Post
Frankly, I think the extreme stance thing is irresponsible without this key feature

I guy I bought some BBS RS wheels from decided to deliver them to me in his Audi. He asked me how the roads were, and I said they should be OK. When I met him, he was ripping a front piece off his car and had a metal "skid plate" that I guess is supposed to protect his car when it (frequently) bottoms out. He said the off ramp from the highway was horrible. I couldn't understand it. All that work just to make it so the car can't be driven under most circumstances. ??? The cars are already old and are typically already restricted to fair weather use only. Now you want to add in that only known smooth roads can be driven?? I don't get it, but I'm not supposed to. I'm an old man, in my 40's now.

Here's my old man car. I love its stance.
Lowering w115-imageuploadedbyautoguide1431627544.936251.jpg

I like the stock stance of the same model with big wheels too:
Lowering w115-imageuploadedbyautoguide1431627602.669836.jpg

I like my 280slc stance much more than my SLC Convertible stance which is way too low.
Name:  ImageUploadedByAutoGuide1431627650.702899.jpg
Views: 983
Size:  150.6 KB
Lowering w115-imageuploadedbyautoguide1431627734.869293.jpg

I'm trying to figure out my options to RAISE the custom convertible rear end because I think it sits too low (due to added weight from the custom convertible top).

It is easy to lower (cut the springs). It's raising it back up that's the challenge.

My signature:
Click for list of my 32 MB since 2010. If, you want 70's-80's Mercedes tuner wheels, let me know.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jan 2009
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fonzi View Post
I guy I bought some BBS RS wheels from decided to deliver them to me in his Audi. He asked me how the roads were, and I said they should be OK. When I met him, he was ripping a front piece off his car and had a metal "skid plate" that I guess is supposed to protect his car when it (frequently) bottoms out. He said the off ramp from the highway was horrible. I couldn't understand it. All that work just to make it so the car can't be driven under most circumstances. ??? The cars are already old and are typically already restricted to fair weather use only. Now you want to add in that only known smooth roads can be driven?? I don't get it, but I'm not supposed to. I'm an old man, in my 40's now.

Here's my old man car. I love its stance.
Attachment 1438697

I like the stock stance of the same model with big wheels too:
Attachment 1438705

I like my 280slc stance much more than my SLC Convertible stance which is way too low.
Attachment 1438713
Attachment 1438721

I'm trying to figure out my options to RAISE the custom convertible rear end because I think it sits too low (due to added weight from the custom convertible top).

It is easy to lower (cut the springs). It's raising it back up that's the challenge.
There were shims, I think three sizes available for spring height adjustment. They may not be enough to resolve the issue. cutting a coil spring alters the spring rate as the amount of spring doing the deflection is lessened. All that means is the car will ride stiffer. You might find another spring that will fit the diameter with a greater spring rate or even have a pair made. Weigh the car complete and weigh it end to end. you can decide what you have added to it and contact a spring co to see what they can do to make the springs capable of handling the added weight, I'm sure it can be done as I have seen it done with old roadsters etc with a hemi installed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in