BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jun 2007
Vehicle: 1973 280c
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Mercedes 280C Body Issues

Hey Guys,

I inherited a mercedes 1973 from my Uncle. I love this car. Its got plenty of character and even though it runs it a bit squirrelly every once and a while it always starts and gets me from point a to point b.

When I first got the car, it had been sitting for a while. The vacuum pump diaphragm had worn out and the engine was sucking oil into it and creating wonderful billowing clouds of smoke. Yikes. After fixing the diaphragm, giving it a tune up, and making some carb adjustments, it runs great.

Now I'm in the process of trying to deal with the rust. It was a yank car before I got it and so salt has definitely had its way with the poor thing. There are tiny rust bubbles all over the car. I mostly concerned about the rust in the trunk, underside and rear quarter panels.

Before you say anything, yes I know this is going to be expensive. Yes I know it will be a lot of time. But I enjoy this kind of work, and for the benz, I will sacrifice.

Anyways, the real issue I having now is how to remove the body panels so I can work them individually. Are they bolted on or welded? I have a friend of mine who works car bodies who offered to give me a hand with it. I'd like to do as much of the work as I can myself so I don't have to abuse his help too much. I'll attach some pictures soon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-30-2007, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
I had a 280C and sold it to buy a W111 (it was stolen by the guy I hired to restore it). I really regret getting rid of the 280, as it was my first Benz, and a great project. Like you, I had rust issues.

The rocker panels are welded on. If you replace them, you can get reasonable parts from Adsitco.com (I've used them for all kinds of stuff). I also ended up removing the gas tank, to get at rust above it, and I ended up replacing a lot of metal in the undercarriage too. Fenders are bolted on, but they might be difficult to remove if they've been sealed to the body (mine were - I had to heat up the stuff to make it pliable enough).

Good luck with the car, and I look forward to the pictures!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in