LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 10:35 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
62 190D newbie questions

I just got a hold of a 62 190 D cream colored! I'm super excited, its not running at the moment, been sitting for a year and a half, no fuel in the tank- was drained, no brake fluid. Where should I start? I was thinking flushing the injectors, replacing all fluids etc. I definitely could use some advise, i can't even find the dipstick at the moment!
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
If it's a ponton, go to Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962) and look around and join our discussion group.

post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-07-2007, 08:33 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
I think you already have the basics. Change the engine oil and filter and change the fuel filter. Clean the fuel screen before the primer pump. Take the plug and screen out of the fuel tank and clean it, flushing the tank with a little fuel before installing. Change the air cleaner oil. Check the level of the injection pump oil with the check plug on the side to the rear of the primer pump. Add engine oil to the pump through the red screw-on cap on the top, letting the oil run out of the check plug a little to flush out any fuel in the pump.

You will need to bleed the fuel filter by loosening the little plug at the top and pumping the primer pump until all fuel comes out, then tighten. You may need to bleed the injectors. To do this, crack loose the lines at the injector and crank the engine until fuel squirts out of each connection. You also need to use the glow plugs until the resistor in the dash gets red hot (about 30 seconds) before cranking to start it.

After you get it running, you should adjust the valves, as this can make a big difference for easier starting. I don't think that it will be hard to get started if it has only been sitting for a year and a half, assuming it was running before that. You might want to buy a Chilton's repair manual as a beginning repair manual, as it will give the basic specs and adjustments you need to make, and doesn't cost much.

The hydraulic clutches can be a pain on those cars, as they tend to leak, but you can deal with that (if it is a problem) after you get it started. Good Luck.
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-08-2007, 04:33 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1983 240d AT; 1993 e320 AT
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Yeah, as KCm mentioned, fix the mechanics (particularly the engine). After having it *brought to life*, you can then start on other mechs i.e. suspension, etc. Body and interior can come after.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-15-2007, 01:26 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Cool Thanks guys! I got the oil drained, fuel drained, cleaner in there now, need to replace the fuel lines, they had a bunch of cracks, going with Viton so i can run BIO, anyone know where to get bango bolts that have barbs instead of the crimp ons? Or can I just remove the crimpons and hose clamp directly to the ones I have? That would be way easier!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 10:18 AM
BenzWorld Member
Vehicle: 1980 450slc
I have cut the hose off of the crimped fuel line fittings in my fuel injection system replacement project for my 1980 450slc. I ground the crimp off with an angle grinder and then cut the hose off to expose the barbed fitting. Make sure you don't grind to deep and make radial cuts on the hose then whittle the hose off in pieces. Don't make a linear cut through the hose as this will knick the barbs and provide a channel for a leak to form.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-23-2007, 05:08 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
I just took them into Oil Filter Service in Portland to weld barbs on them for hose clamping, seems like it should work.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: