LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 06:13 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1976 300 engine replacement

Brand new to the forum, hope to become a longtime member. But first, I have to buy a Mercedes.

A older gentleman that attends our church is trying to sell a 1976 300 D, or at least that's the model he says it is. The car has been parked in his shop for at least 20 years, clean and dry. The previous owner had a major engine problem and that's how it came into the current owner's possession. The bad engine has been removed and a replacement is setting beside the car.

How hard is an engine installation? I've done it on other cars and the seller has a hoist and shop space. What should I look for that may cause problems? I expect that I'll have to prep the engine since it's been unused for so long. Any ideas?

The car is in very good shape overall, based on my experience, definitely worth saving. Under 100,000 miles on the body and chassis and the replacement engine reportedly has similar mileage.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Matt
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 12:51 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1981 300CD, 1973 280C
A 300D as you know is a diesel, a rather slow vehicle, but very dependable! swapping engines is very straightforward like any gas engine. There is less to hook up but more vacuum hoses. And because its a diesel, you have to bleed the fuel system to draw fuel to the engine unlike a gas car with a fuel pump. its bled much like brakes. Loosen a line, crank engine till air is expelled. They require a very fresh strong battery because of the ultra high compression to crank fast enough to fire. You can verify the replacement engine is free by removing injectors and using a breaker bar on the crank bolt to rotate it. Spray some oil in the injector holes prior to rotation. Might be a good idea to replace the water pump based on age and seals drying up. Drain the fuel tank because diesel gathers water and allows alge to grow within the tank! Less likely if it was stored empty.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2005
Vehicle: '80 450SLC Afro RHD Ikonengold
Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut1
A 300D as you know is a diesel, a rather slow vehicle, but very dependable! swapping engines is very straightforward like any gas engine. There is less to hook up but more vacuum hoses. And because its a diesel, you have to bleed the fuel system to draw fuel to the engine unlike a gas car with a fuel pump. its bled much like brakes. Loosen a line, crank engine till air is expelled. They require a very fresh strong battery because of the ultra high compression to crank fast enough to fire. You can verify the replacement engine is free by removing injectors and using a breaker bar on the crank bolt to rotate it. Spray some oil in the injector holes prior to rotation. Might be a good idea to replace the water pump based on age and seals drying up. Drain the fuel tank because diesel gathers water and allows alge to grow within the tank! Less likely if it was stored empty.
What else one can say to posts like this: BRAVO!
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:29 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2004
Vehicle: w115-240D, w115-300D, w201-190e (3), w123-300D w201-190d
great car ,, I want one , ,

The injector pump has a hand primer on it , (round knob) that you unscrew , pump like mad till all bubbles are out of fuel . Check flow by loosening bolt on top of fuel filter , this is a little messy but Doing this will save your battery.

'76 - 300D
'72 - 240D (noddy)
'40 Chev pickup
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 04:49 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
The degree of difficulty depends in large part on what engine is resting next to the vehicle. The further it moves away from the the exact engine the car came with, the more difficult the replacement. If you provide an engine number, we can see what you have there.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-06-2007, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: May 2007
(Thread Starter)
Thanks for all the information! I'll have to check the numbers on the engine but was told that it came from the same model car. Good advice on bleeding the fuel system too, went through that with a diesel tractor last week and don't want to do it again.

Hopefully I'll have an opportunity to buy this thing and get it running.

Thanks again everybody.

Matt
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 01:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Quote:
Originally Posted by carnut1
... They require a very fresh strong battery because of the ultra high compression to crank fast enough to fire. ...
21 to 1 compression ratio, isn't it? That's 2 to 3 times the compression of most gassers, plus you sometimes need to keep a diesel cranking until it's firing on all cylinders depending on the engine and environmental conditions. You'll notice that the car has a longer battery tray... should be able to find extra long (large capacity) batteries for diesels. I think the part # for an International DieHard is #33349, but you'll want to check to be sure.

Also, the 5 cyl diesel engine (3.0 L) is a bit more cramped in the engine compartment than the 4 cyl (2.4 L) and might use different engine mounts and shock. Hopefully it's a replacement rather than a swap. If it's the same engine as the car originally had, it should be fairly straightforward. Take LOTS of pictures, put everything in labeled bags, and keep a detailed journal of every nut and bolt

You can find links to online/CD service guides somewhere on these forums. I have a copy on my hard drive and double check everything before I pick up any tools.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 06-13-2007, 03:09 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins, 02 Civic EX, 10 Mazda 5 Sport
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
You'll have to check on the block. It would have to be a OM617.910 not a OM617.912 or other variant since the oil filter will interfere with the brake booster. If that is the case the engine will drop right in, definitely squirt some MMO or ATF into he cylinders to let the rings reabsorb oil before cranking the engine dry.

1977 - W116 - 6.9
1974 - W115 - 240D /8 - 4(M) OM617.910 + Turbo + 300D FW - Completed 7/8/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in