Replacing Bosch jetronic with MegaSquirt EFI - Page 13 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #121 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:16 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1969 280se (the diplomat) -- 1986 190e 2.3 16 (cosworth) -- 1985 300TD (panzer wagon) -- 2004 E55
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*bump*

Hello all! I've been enamored with the thought of MS in general - mainly for MB->MB engine swaps (M117 in a w123 for instance)

Anyway! I just picked up a 1973 280SE 4.5 (http://i.imgur.com/a5iQJwz.jpg) - and would like to start by MS'ing the fuel at least, and then a complete replacement.

I'm waiting on an alternator and a fuel pump relay (I got her to fire up on 1st inspection with some gas, battery spare relay from my 1969 280SE 2.8)

I see there are broken image links of the ordeal of MS swap early in thread - wondering if there is a pseudo-complete write-up, images, howto and fuel maps and the like for a 73 4.5. It seems I would need

*whatever recommended injectors of a Ford? of all things
*a Throttle Positioning Sensor, as the current one's signal/setup will not work
* O2 or wideband sensor
* Wire up the MS to these existing/new connections

Anything else? I can use the existing rails and whatnot correct?

What realistically else is involved, custom fabrication for simply taking a 4.5 to this level.

It may or may not need it currently, but as to wake to motor up, and not have any ecu/d-jet gremlins or replacement part cost/hunting. (not to mention a method to view/tune the system in real time)

Just seeing the ancient ECU near the headlights makes me nervous. (vs. say the MFI in the 1969 280SE or the W123 300TD for that matter) I already have the CIS in the cosworth to bang my head against (I'd think about doing the 16v, but its an all original puppy)

In the future, I'd like to put a 560 in my new 'red pig'. I figure if I start with MS on the existing 4.5, I would have considerably more 'tribal knowledge' and confidence with the implementation.

Thanks again! I've picked up a lot of information here and there, I just need a little push

Cheers!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #122 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Just my 2 cents,

All you need to get ms to work is:

1. Load sensor, usually a map.
2. Tach signal
3. Intake air temp sensor
4. Coolant temp sensor. ( just needed for warmup)

Everything else just adds refinement. Ms will still fire without the o2, you just will not be able to tune. Having said that, a wide band O2 is a must. ( I am on my third ms install. One is using the above 4 sensors and a wb O2.)

You will still, of course, need to wire the inj, plum the fuel, etc.

Hope that helps.

-- brett
bdeeley likes this.
post #123 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 11:11 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2012
Vehicle: 1969 280se (the diplomat) -- 1986 190e 2.3 16 (cosworth) -- 1985 300TD (panzer wagon) -- 2004 E55
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Thank you Brett! Very much helpful.

Can anyone chime in and/or advise on the following? (again just a stock W108 73 4.5)

1. Load sensor, usually a map.

What should I use for a load sensor, perhaps a map? What works best for this motor?

2. Tach signal

Is there an existing connection -- and can it be used? If not what should I get?

3. Intake air temp sensor

Is there an existing working connection for this? If not, what sensor should I plumb into the air filer box?

4. Coolant temp sensor. ( just needed for warmup)

I assume the existing one works fine here

5. Wideband 02

I assume get said sensor (which one) and plumb it somewhere in the exhaust under the front seats about

6. Injectors

I see people using various Ford pieces - I just need to know what exactly I need to get

7. Beer

How much beer is recommenced, and what brand should I get?

Thanks again all!
post #124 of 124 (permalink) Old 06-19-2014, 02:50 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Jun 2010
Vehicle: 1966 MB 200; Porsche 914 (6); Porsche 914 (Chev 350); 36 ford
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Start with Belgium beer. Golded Drak or Duval.

1. MS comes with MAP built in. You just need a vaccum siganl below the throttle body.

2. If you are just doing fuel, you can come off the disty, or if you are using an MSD, off the MSD tach output, which is what I used.

3. GM style IAT. GM Open Element IAT Sensor with Pigtail DIYAutoTune.com I put mine in the intake track and pointing down, so if came loose no parts would get sucked into engine. See my thread on the W110 project.

4. Can't help with that... If you want to use GM style, you will need an adapter. If you use the stock CLT, you will need to calibrate it, which is easy to do.

5. On the W110, I used the existing bung. On my 914, I welded into one of the headers the bung, about 18 inches downstream. (The install kit will have the desired distance in the instructions.)

6. Take a picture of the existing injector connector, more than likely you can use if its electronic, otherwise you may need to adapt. You can get injector pigtails for most common injectors from diyautotune.com. For my 914, I got adapters from a firm in canada. (The 911 motor had the early style CIS injection, and are mechanical injectors.)

-- brett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in