LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #101 of 124 (permalink) Old 01-01-2009, 10:46 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2008
Vehicle: 07 C230
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Bluefang

I really do not have anything against alloy motors - I have 3 other cars in my pool (all JA's) with alloy motors which have served me (and my family) very well. As I have mentioned before I am staying away from '76+ for aforementioned inspection reasons. In most likelihood I might be all wrong about '80's 560. I did read about single vs. double row timing chain fiasco in early 380SL. Also, I have read couple of articles regarding heli-coiling head bolt engine block threads in alloy motors! So, how often do you have to pull heads for a valve job???
Tomorrow, I'll take a look at another '75 450SL - this one is a bit better, but it looks like it will need paint job (it is not rusty bucket), seat, carpet and some interior peaces.

I'll start another thread once I have a chance to look over car in detail.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums/vint...ml#post3234436

Happy New Year everybody!

//RF

Last edited by RFmaster; 01-02-2009 at 11:36 AM. Reason: add thread link
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #102 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 02:18 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: May 2009
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello guys,
thanks to you all I am all set to MS my '81 280slc (fuel only to start with). Got my MS2 extra from UK prebuilt as I am in Pakistan. It came with the wire harness all lablelled and neat. I am using the fuel rail and injectors set up from a toyota crown 2800cc as they seem to be same in size for my M110 engine. A TPS from a range rover. ATS and CTS will come from whatever fits. Idle air control valve will remain stock. Till I can figure it out how to replace that I was going to use a narrow band O2 sensor but now I am thinking about an LC1 after reading through the posts. I will have to get it from UK. I will appriciate if I can get some help with the tuning once I get all the stuff in. Any one else Mega squirted an M110?
post #103 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-03-2009, 07:18 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 450SLC
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Wideband sensor is pretty much a must have item, makes like so much easier.

As to tuning the car, thats all but feeling and listening to the engine, no one would really be able to help you unless they were there with you, just play around with it and follow the instructions in the Megamanual. Or if you have the money a few hours on a Dyno will get the whole thing tuned perfectly.
post #104 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-04-2009, 02:08 PM
BenzWorld Newbie

Hello Bluefang,
I am also considering the wideband sensor. I guess I will wait for it as you advise. It may take a couple of weeks to get it in. It makes perfect sense that it will make the tuning easier as the readings will be specific and I will have a better idea where I stand and make the appropriate adjustments. That sounds like fun too Thanks for the reply. If I run into a wall I will post. Any other words of advice I should know before I start with the upgrade? I have learned a lot from you and oughtsix and I am hopeing to keep the endeavor short and straight by doing the home work and planning first. I feel this will be the first megasquirting in Pakistan
My car is in running condition but I dont like the way it starts or idles. The mixture is rich as I can always smell it and it gives bad milage. Four km to a liter in the city. It accelerates heavily and I am not really happy with the whole setup. I understand that the m110 motor is not the fastest but I have been perfectly happy with it in other cars. With all the leaky vacume pipes and ageing systems you just dont know what will go wrong. There are not many people here who are good with the K-tronic injection or understand all the little gizmos attached to it. I had a '74 280S with a carb. It never gave trouble and I could find people who could tune it easily. And it ran much better even though it was a bigger car. So these are a few issues I hope to resolve through this upgrade. Ignition will come later hopefully if this succeeds.
post #105 of 124 (permalink) Old 09-28-2009, 02:45 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2009
Vehicle: '87 190E 2.3-16
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Great thread, guys! I'm looking to pick up a 2.3-16 for a vintage racecar/weekend trackcar project. It seems the K-Jet is one of the major weak points of that car.

I've seen a few posts on various message boards where guys are claiming as much as 30-40 hp gain on a stock 2.3-16 engine. That strikes me as ridiculous. I'm sure there's an improvement, but I can't believe it's so extreme.

Just wondering if any of you who have done the K-Jet --> MegaSquirt swap had a chance to get any dyno numbers? I'd really be interested in seeing torque/hp curves after a proper tune. I might even be interested in trying it out on my 560SL. I don't really need more power, but more fuel efficiency wouldn't be a bad thing

1987 W201 190E 2.3-16: Vintage racer
1990 C124 300CE coupe: Daily Driver
1991 Peugeot 405 Mi 16: Weekend Toy
post #106 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-01-2009, 04:39 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

After three days in the workshop I have my car on the road. Starts like never before hot or cold. She is idleing rock solid at different loads like in drive and with the ac on. I am one happy camper. This is fun.I have taken her on the highway. She drives real light and cruising speeds are smooth. I am having a bit of a fix with the accelration settings. Some i cant figure out. I will keep messing with them and hopefully things will smooth out.

I dont know about gains in bhp but I can tell you I have started looking forward to take her for a spin. I biggest change is the confidence factor after megasquirting. I know that she is not going to die on me when standing in traffic lights. She is driveing much lighter and cooler. The starting is like half a turn or so. I am expecting gains in milage as she is much more efficient.

Next step will be ignition control. But in a bit. I want to smooth the fuel first.
post #107 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-09-2009, 06:49 AM
BenzWorld Newbie

My tuning goes fine. i have taken her to different loads and the tuning graph is smooth. I have a question regarding the transmission. There is a vacume input from the engine which is fine. There is another input which was connected to the k-tronic setup. I think it is the kick down switch. How does it connect with the megasquirt setup?
post #108 of 124 (permalink) Old 08-24-2010, 06:15 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Aug 2010
Vehicle: 98 ML320
Ok... So 1year later bump

Any rethinks/changes/new maps/updates in general?
post #109 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-04-2010, 09:31 AM
Lifetime Premium Member

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 72 280SEL 4.5(airbagged), race cars:88 560 SEL, 74 SLC, 67 200, daily: 99 C43, 06 E55 wagon
Lifetime Premium Member
starting my MS conversion on my 108 4.5, I'll post up how it goes. Once I get that figured out, I am going to try and swap on a Vortec supercharger, should be fun.

Performance parts for w126, r/c107, w201, m117, m119, m102, m104 and few other things.

Reproduction 17" Penta wheels coming soon.

Feind Motorsports
post #110 of 124 (permalink) Old 10-06-2010, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Apr 2009
Vehicle: Mercedes 280 SE 3.5 coupe, pagoda 230 SL '64, 500 E W124, CE 220 Cabrio, E 320 T W211, w126 6.0 AMG
MS II M116 3.5

I am working on my 280 SE 3.5 Coupe, it has 5-Speed 76/27 A5 and I am replacing the D-jet with the MSII. I am using M119 (500 E) injectors, the TPS is a Alfa 75 (Bosch) part. The idle regulator is from Fiat (Bosch). The Triggerwheel is in the distributor (16-1x2) with a Alfa 75 (Bosch) sensor, so ther will be no waste spark. The fuel line ist the M119 type, shortend at the first 2 cylinders, the rest fits quiet well. Two e-fans will be driven by the MSII instead of the visco-fan. Bride-bend lambda is Tech-edge in the T-Tube under the car. For the rest all will look orginal. This is to better a little fuerl consumption and when I will take a 560 in, all will be easier.

Best Pagodino
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in