LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-01-2007, 12:20 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by grezm0nkey View Post
nice.....sounds like all u need to do is to trim up the lower corners of the rear glass.......and trim the lower portion of the foward glass.......

grez
3K sounds a lot of money if you are not having any new complex glass forms made up.
It may be a bit late but, you can sand glass down if you can't cut it because of the curves by this i mean plain old sand paper. i know this cos i have done it. It does take a while and it is F###ing boring but it can be done. (a power sander helps too! and maybe where a mask ) but three grand is three grand
Another idea is,,,, some machine shops have cutters that cut things with water. It's nuts and incredible but true. Maybe a machinist / factory has one somewhere in your area and to ask dosen't cost a penny.
Best of luck with your project.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 12:41 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2005
Vehicle: 1967 250SE RHD, 1969 300SE L, 1989 560SEC with AMG upgrades, 1998 s600 coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to ChopTop250SE
(Thread Starter)
I appreciate your advice, but trust me I have done my homework. Also, if anyone ever told you that they can sand or cut tempered glass is false. the only glass that you can cut or sand is the winshield because it's layered. It has plastic sandwiched between two sheets of glass. Nobody can sand or cut side glass or rear screen, unless it is layered like the front screen. If you have ever studied the glass on these coupes, you would know that they are very complex, they are curved and not in one direction. the rear side windows were custom made, the front quarter windows have been custom made, front windshield has been cut and trimmed. The guy cut a 40 yr old glass w/o cracking or beaking it. Now I'd rather pay someone that is good and expencive, that can do this difficuilt job in one shot rather do it myslef or hire a cheap rookie.

post #33 of 33 (permalink) Old 12-02-2007, 07:29 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jun 2004
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
The way it was done in the 50-60's was to sink the glass into the rear panel in front of the deck lid...I figured from the beginning you would have problems). You do know that you can can have a screen made? ,Pilkingtons (who invented the process) will make a pattern and bend the glass for you and it won't cost $3000 either. laminated side glass can be cut by anyone to your pattern.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in