LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 67 250SE Coupe
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
oughtsix........i am no wood expert.....closest i come to wood working is picking my teeth with it..........rosewood generic??....isnt that a real wood species?.....or is it some name for stain?

all the woodwork in the car is veneer.....the face pieces are laminated ply.....the rounded bow pieces are solid....actually joined at the elbow, but solid.........the veneering measured about 1/16 inch.........the sealer or varnish was about 1/16 too.........not much in the car was plactic......a few knobs, inserts and vent controls were plastic.........there isnt any fiberglass in the car....not that i know of.

its very time consuming, but........i got time........and its something to keep me busy.......plus i like working with my hands and trying something.

what i see is a rosewood or zebrawood, like originals, on all the bows.....the face panels i want to do in an exotic.....well......highly figured......burly.....wavey.....something.......i was looking at waterfall bubinga on ebay........that would fill in the face panel and maybe the cluster bubble.........the zebra stuff would also replace the original leather portions on the dash........and.............AND.........follow thru to the rear hat rack.....the door panels have a cap to top off the door.....that cap....and the dash leather surround pieces are metal.....wrapped in leather........ill rewrap that in veneer........istill havent seen a pic of an original hat rack on a coupe like mine.....i asked a couple years ago in my past posts for someone with an original coupe and post a pic of the rear deck and speaker covers, if there were any, and no one answered.............i still dont know what an original rear deck looks like on a coupe....the car came with replacement plastic covers and speakers from sony........at the time i thought.....maybe the rear speaker openings could have matched the wood louver center speaker cover up front........like i said...i dont know.....but.......i still like the idea of matching wood lovers........soooooooooo.......extending the wood theme from the front dash.....all along the top portion of the sides.........and slide into the rear deck.........the rear deck would be recessed.......imagine the wood flowing from front to rear and wrapping the "D" shaped rear deck.....the "D" shape would be zebra, along the window bottom and back seat.........the center of the "D" will be recessed the thickness of the front bows....to match....and veneered in the same stuff as the face panel on the dash.....matching again.......the speaker openings would match that of the center speaker...ALL WOOD........the wood louver speaker cover i pulled out is already breaking appart......the glue is dust....so it wont be much to bust it apart and trace each piece on paper for a template....then make a larger version for the rear covers....in wood.......i dont think i can fiberglass such narrow pieces.....but then again.......i might.........the zebra veneer would be darker than the face panels.......and again, the face and rear deck would be figured and lighter.......all this to create contrast........the cluster bubble, i dont know yet.....maybe u can squint and see what would look good..........come to think of it, once i have all the molds, i can probably play with different covered pieces.......how about chrome????....lol.....and after all the wood work is done.........i will replace the dilithium crystals in the warp drive, top off the fluids for the cloaking device and replace the spring for the ejection seat.

(sigh) i need a breather.........ok.........the finish.........well........just by my last post u can tell i dont know what im doing.....i didnt know spar was marine related.......only spar i know is in an airplane..........but........yeah, that was my plan.....a marine finish.....plus the finished pieces wouldnt be very thick........i mean its only as thick as the veneer.......the rest is fiberglass.....if it were solid wood.....thinning the finish would be ideal.......but i would have to ask.....how many layers and is there sanding inbetween layers, or before the next application.......how thick can it be and will it crack or spider out?.....flexible???....i dont need to bent it, but just thinking along the lines of the sun warming it and flexing, causing stress cracks.

i really do want to keep it as original as i can.....i know it contradicts everything i just said about the wood, but........i hope u know what i mean....i dont want to add air bags or a purple flame job........just subtle details that carry the same elegance the car already has........plus im saving a car from the heap.

im glad i can post while working.....lol......PAID BABY!!!!!!!!

grez
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-16-2007, 04:51 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Mar 2007
Vehicle: 1980 450slc
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This article can explain rosewood better than I can:
Rosewood (timber) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
What I was trying to say is that you can get rosewood from two different suppliers and end up with two completely different woods.

I like your ideas on adding wood to your auto but it still seams like a massive undertaking! That is a lot of veneering to do.

Spar varnish is marine varnish. It has very long mocular chains for a varnish which makes it more flexable than most varnishes since boats flex alot. It also contains UV inhibitors. It also takes a long time to completely dry.

You might consider doing some research on wooden boat building as those guys have a lot of information on techniques and different types of finishes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in