LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-29-2007, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Exclamation 1965 220b engine needs rebuild

Hi my names kevin, im looking for information on parts avalability for an engine rebuild kit for my 1965 220b engine #M180.940 im looking to rebore the cylendars so new piston, rings, all the gaskets, new camshaft, and bearing, exhast valves and seals-- the whole enchillada(other parts not listed but should be replaced as well). So if anybody knows a good place to find a kit, or are rebulit engine(although id like to do it myself) plz email me (dillonk@gmail.com)

also if anybody has any experience with this rebuild, or helpful comments ill take them too.

1965 220b engine needs rebuild-5852_3.jpg
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-31-2007, 11:30 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2007
(Thread Starter)
bump with some pictures
1965 220b engine needs rebuild-5b61_3.jpg

1965 220b engine needs rebuild-5ef9_3.jpg

1965 220b engine needs rebuild-599e_3.jpg
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 09:28 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Dont know

Thats a hard one to answer but Id say get a Hemmings Motor News, they have all kinds of ads from people who do that kind of work. I would say that you could check asditco.com but that might be a bit old for them to handle. Good luck, keep it looking and running good.
post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-03-2007, 10:02 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
You could go to a shop, indie or dealer, and ask where they have their machine work done.

Then you need to find out if the block needs to be rebored or just honed. You also need to get the crankshaft check and determine if it needs to be ground or just have new bearings.

You might want to get the intake and exhaust manifold and carbs from a 220S or 230S. That would give a little extra power.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 11:00 AM
cth
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes
Your quickest and least painful route to success is to get a used engine. An upgrade to zenith carbs from the older solex carbs (round double ones replacing oval) should you have them will get you something like 25hp.

Any benz parts supplier can get you all the parts you need. Though most of it is "dealer only". Rusty Cullens, Metric Motor and Caliber Motors are three suppliers that come to mind.

Be prepared to spend well over 3,000$ on machine work on a total engine rebuild, then add parts. This is why a used motor has much appeal.

If you are not a stickler for originality (and nobody with a 111 sedan should be) you can upgrade to a more recent straight 6 without doing anything that isn't reversible.

Lastly, I'm presuming you're able to do work on your own. None of this is the kind of thing you want to pay somebody else to do.

-CTH
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-04-2007, 10:05 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Dec 2003
Vehicle: 1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70 (wagon), 2006 Ford Crown Vic Police Interceptor, 72 350SL 4 Speed
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Be careful with those used engines. A used engine was put in my 220S before I bought it and it has a rod/crank knock. The PO should have just replaced the head gasket. I'm going to rebuild the original engine and put it back in, with a few mods to modernize it.

Near Manassas Va. '65 220S, 2006 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor, '99 Volvo V70, '72 350SL 4 speed

Not part of the in-crowd since 1952. It's BRAKES not breaks. You break a bone, use brakes to stop your car. /rant

http://www.megamanual.com/index.html
http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-08-2007, 02:49 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Aug 2004
Vehicle: 67 250SE Coupe
i swear i saw that finnie scooting around long beach.........nice........heres my 2 cents........i was looking for tranny work and called a few people in socal......im guessing u in socal from the rear plate.......anyway..........called sun valley mercedes......its a salvage yard/shop of sorts.........went there couple years ago and remembered they had a tranny rebuild corner.......and a dyno.......so i called for tranny price and i also asked about engine work........they dont do engines, but they know a local that does.........i dont have number on hand, but call sun valley.......google them and try adding salvage, youll see pics of a junk yard and heart breaking pics of STACKED MBs.........i about cried........i think i talked with mark.......i also did engine rebuild pricing.....ball park numbers i got were around 5k for a rebuilt and your core for exchange.......oh yeah.......i remember reading somewhere about the cylinders in MB motors being tappered.........guys boring out and redoing cylinders not knowing screwed up the block.......i am not sure if that holds weight, but i do remember reading it somewhere..........just a heads up if u do.........and if u wanted to know, tranny price was 1250 for core exchange and 1400 or 1500 for installed in 4-5 days if u wanted your own tranny back.........1-3 days if u didnt care for matching numbers in the car and if they had it in stock........, and if u wanted to walk out with tranny only, no core.....1700.......hope that helps.....warranty was i think 2 years unlimited miles.............anywhere else for tranny was 2k plus and 60k miles covered........cheers

grez
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 05-03-2007, 09:40 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: May 2007
Vehicle: 64' 220SEc, 72' 300SEL 6.3, lots of parts
220b motor

Be careful that you do not pour money into a hole, I have purchased these complete running for $1000-500. My Swiss friend can get 10K for your car in Germany. Try pricing everything beforehand, (bumpers $625 straighten and re-chrome) Just purchased a complete 280S motor for $125. be very careful. My experience while living in LA area was that used parts are expensive up there. Down in the Otay Mesa ecology/pick-a-parts things are cheapo. Fintails are history unavailable, gone. w108's are approaching the same. I did see a 74 250S with 4spd there yesterday. Motor and transmissions are $200

Brian O. San Diego area
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in