LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
'77 300D Oil Pours Out of Air Filter

My niece purchased a '77 300D and while it was always hard to start - it has now developed a nasty habit of having oil pour out of the air filter when it is running. I have already convinced myself that it needs a ring/head job but could there be another cause? Also, how long should I plan for the rering work? I have rering'ed 3 other cars but have never had to pull one out of the car....

Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:12 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I have seen that once -- after the crankcase was grossly overfilled with oil.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 05:19 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Feb 2007
Vehicle: sprinter 208 cdi 2002
I've seen this before when the crank case breather got all carboned up engine couldn't breath so it spewed oil out through air filter may be worth a look a cheap place to start

Rob
post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 06:45 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2006
Vehicle: 1981 300CD, 1973 280C
Pull off the rubber breather hose at the top of the air filter. If liquid oil shoots from that I would be surprised! There should be only blow- by smoke. I also believe the crankcase breather is plugged up or restricted in some way or yes, its overfilled with oil, but you checked the level, right?
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-2007, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Mar 2007
(Thread Starter)
You're correct

I replaced the oil and, unless the dipstick is wrong, the oil level is correct. I may try lowering the oil level (a little) but the stuff coming out of the bottom of the air filter is doing that for me anyway.

Oil doesn't shoot out the top of the air filter but it does collect in the bottom.

I've pulled the oil filler cap off and there seems to be a LOT of blowby but that may be normal?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-2007, 09:13 AM
KCM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Jun 2004
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Two things come to mind: excessive blowby and a bad diaphragm in the vacuum pump. Excessive blowby would mean the engine needs a rebuild, new rings and possibly pistons and sleeves. A bad vacuum pump diaphragm simply means a new diaphragm for the vacuum pump. You can easily check the vacuum pump by removing the line from the pump to the intake and seeing if there is oil in the line, or start the engine and see if oil spits out.

The hard starting leads me to believe you have low compression, and thus an engine rebuild is what is needed. The clearance between the piston and sleeve is only about 0.0015", so most likely there is a lot more slop than that, and it would need new pistons and sleeves too. An overhaul would likely run $1500 in parts alone, not counting labor for installing sleeves and valve work. You should also check the head and block for flatness and have them milled if necessary if you are that far.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-30-2007, 10:33 PM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Jul 2005
Vehicle: 1981 300D
Send a message via AIM to ScrazySean
Quote:
Originally Posted by illhornet
I replaced the oil and, unless the dipstick is wrong, the oil level is correct. I may try lowering the oil level (a little) but the stuff coming out of the bottom of the air filter is doing that for me anyway.

Oil doesn't shoot out the top of the air filter but it does collect in the bottom.

I've pulled the oil filler cap off and there seems to be a LOT of blowby but that may be normal?
The idea is to put the oil cap back on, but dont lock it in place, if it jiggles around a little bit thats okay, but if it shoots off, that means you have bad blowby

1981 300D Anthracite Grey 358K (Daily Driver)
1981 300D Euro `Diamond Blue` paint code: '355' at least 300K (passed away)
1987 190e 2.3L Astral Silver 180K (Rear Ended)
<br>
<center>
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in