LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
1971 280S information wanted

Greetings. I am new to the world of Mercedes Benz. I just aquired a 1971 280S for my niece and we are going to fix it up. I would like to know about the dual carburetor setup. Do they need to be synchronized or something? She drove it home this morning. We knew it ran rough. It wants to stall instead of idle. It also shifts pretty hard. What brand of carburetor are they? Any information about the automatic transmission? I know the car is a W108 by the vin.
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-24-2007, 04:23 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
There's lots to read here and the other DIY-friendly benz groups.

The car has dual zenith carbs. Yes, they need to be balanced. Before touching them, make sure the ignition system is working correctly and properly timed. Also the gas in the take should be fresh and plentiful (over half a tank) before doing any serious carb adjustments.

You can get the CD service manual for about 30$ by calling 1-800-for-merc. You can also visit my friend Jamie's website www dot jaimekop dot com to see the carb rebuild details (just don't actually do any of them yet).

Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: