BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: Mercedes Benz (W126) 280SE 1981
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Benz 1959 220SE Dr's Coupe

Hi Fellow Benz buffs,

Not sure if this is the place to enquire but I will pose my question and then if the administrator/moderator believes I am in the wrong area or should not pose this question here then by all means move/delete - no objections this end.

I have a friend who has a Mercedes Benz 220SE Coupe - 1959 which has been sitting in his storage facilities for many years. He is a bit of a horder for Benz's with several hundred Benz's of various ages and conditions from fully restored to ones for spares and parts.

After some considerable harrassing by me over a couple of months he agreed that he would be prepared to let go of the 1959 Coupe and got her out of storage for my associate and I to give her a clean up and prepare her for sale.

Here is a quick snapshot of her after a bit of a cleanup:

For those that want a closer look I have created a little slideshow of various pics of her:

Web Slideshow 3mb slideshow

Now my question is - what would this car be worth? - I have absolutely no idea and do not want to underprice or overprice the vehicle when we start to market this girl.

I am hoping that a strong membership forum such as this one will be able to give me some guidance on pricing this girl.

Thank you all for your time and consideration of this issue and I look forward to some feedback from you all.

Garry J. Smith
Proud owner of a
280SE W126 1981 Benz
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 04:44 AM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2004
Vehicle: 1959 220S cabriolet, 1983 240D original owner, 1999 E300 turbo diesel, 1988 560SL, 2003 SLK320
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Lots of good info here - Mercedes-Benz Pontons (1953-1962). There is a pricing guide that isn't too bad either.

Also consider joining our ponton group at ponton : IPOG (International Ponton Owners Group). We've got about 600 owners in the group and the level of expertise is incredible.

'59 220S Cabriolet
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-23-2007, 10:40 PM
BenzWorld Senior Member
Date registered: Aug 2005
Vehicle: '79 450 SLC
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to B-McD
I've had a look around there once and it's just amazing the amount of cars he has. And there's also a lot of crashed benz's that really showed me how good their safety cells worked, especially without airbags. Some had half the engine bay caved in but the front doors would still open almost like new. Anyway about the SE. I don't know how relevant international prices will be. (I know that the prices for SL's are completely different in Australia compared to the US). So you could try calling MB Spares & Service, Australia's leading Mercedes-Benz website . John, or someone else there, should be able to give you a rough estimate as too what prices could be had for various conditions, i.e from rusting to concours. Right now he has a Great condiotion 220S (4 door) for sale at $15 000. This one could be worth around the same price but a lot more once restored, really not sure. And you could also try ringing the NSW MB Club or go onto their forum
post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-28-2007, 01:10 PM
CH4S Artist
Date registered: Sep 2004
Vehicle: 1985 500SEC, 1991 190E 2.6.
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 937 Post(s)
Lifetime Premium Member
I sometimes see a perfectly restored convertible in my neigborhood. Chocolate brown with beige convertible top and interior. Great looking car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: