BenzWorld Newbie

Date registered: Feb 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Engine Swap W108 280S to 300D Diesel

Hi All,

I was hoping someone might be able to assist. My old 280S engine is pretty tired and ready for a re-build. I have been entertaining the idea of trying to fit a 300D engine & auto. I was wanting to get into the bio fuel thing with some friends who are already running their cars on it.

Has anyone done this conversion? If so, could they tell me the following. Does the 300D engine bolt up to the same engine mounts and auto mount locations in the 280S? Are the exhaust manifolds on the same side? Are their any other major issues involved in the swap?

Any assistance would be much appretiated.

Peter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 04:41 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2007
Hi,

I did the OM617 (N/A) into 280S about a year ago. (When I say "I", I mean my $100-an-hour mechanic.)

I love the 108 shape and the 300D engine has a very big reputation for longevity and yes, I was going to run it on biodiesel, so I put my money where my mouth was.

My floorshift 1970 would allow an easy match-up of the transmission, but the engine new arms were fabricated from thick steel, and the engine mounts had to be slightly adapted to fit.

The rest of the 60 hours of work was down to the multitude of changes required to lengthen certain hoses and leads, and shorten others, hook-up the ignition to the glow plugs and a bunch of other stuff.

Assuming you've got the money or the know-how to do the job yourself, the biggest thing to look out for is the vibration that can come into the cabin and through the steering wheel. Make sure you've got plenty of insulation under the hood and see if you can get some engine shock absorber mounts made up.

One final word of warning; make sure you do a compression test of the 300D motor before purchase and installation. The one I had put in worked perfectly on the way home from the mechanic and suffered a radical loss of compression within a week! I have since sourced another engine that's had a top-end rebuild and will hopefully be installing it this week.

Once everything is done, I will hopefully have a beautiful car that will still be running when pump petrol is too expensive for the average motorist.

Good luck.

Dweezil
#3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 07:14 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 90 300 SE ,85 300 GD
You can certainly buy a 300D cheap right now and save your 280 as is for the weekend!
#4 (permalink) Old 09-20-2009, 09:59 AM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: '73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 73 280C (sold), 65 220SEb (stolen), '68 Saab 96
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
You know, most countries consider it a capital crime to swap ANY kind of diesel into a 108 ... Better be careful or you might be caned or something.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.