BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 1971 Mercedes 250C
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to LeggoMyEggo Send a message via Yahoo to LeggoMyEggo
(Thread Starter)
1971 - 250C - Warning NEWBIE QUESTION

There are no stupid questions, just inquisitive idiots. I am one of them.

My father received his mothers 1971 250C after she died and with the exception of one weekend every month or so it has been garaged since she died in 1998.

He got tired of it taking up garage space and I now have a 1971 250C with 80k original miles. Seems to be in good shape however...and you have to forgive me I am a computer nerd and I don't know a spark plug from a flux capacitor. I have three questions for anyone out there...(have a list of 15 but thought three would be a good ice breaker)

1. I somehow back doored a site the last day they had all of the manuals for the 250C hosted (mbberrings) or something like that. Well I didnt get all of the files downloaded I did get a ton of them though. Does anyone have all of the files? I am more than happy to share all of the PDF files I was able to get. Some of them appear to apply to different models but most are for the 250C. You can email me if you want the files and if anyone has all of them please let me know.

2. Gas mileage...feels like 10 to maybe 15 feet to the gallon sometimes. Is a tune up in order? And does this require some research for a properly trained mechanic? And is there a stumper question I need to ask the mechanic to ensure he knows how to work on an older mercedes? (ok there were 3 questions in there)

3. Hope you don't mind someone who isn't all that experienced with cars clogging the message board but can someone give me a cliff notes explanation of what the heck the small tubes / diaphram thing that runs throughout the car / under the seat do?

Any help is greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:37 PM
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
three questions, all with a single answer. Call 1-800-for-merc and ask for the CD that covers the car. It's about 30$ and will provide you with an owner's manual, repair guide and maintenance book.

You'll find a section of emissions, which will describe in lurid detail where the various bits of vacuum go (or come from when dealing with negative pressure) and has diagnostic procedures presuming you have a multi-meter and a vacuum pump.

There were two 250C models in 1971 as they cut over from the M114V 2.5l motor to the M130V 2.8l motor. Search this site and www dot mercedesshop dot com for threads on zenith carbs (you have two) and the motor you've got. The car's chassis number will tell you which motor it is supposed to be. A 114.011 car is the older one, the 114.021 car is the younger one (with the larger motor).

If you've done nothing else, hopefully you've changed the oil, flushed the coolant and drained the gas tank. Nothing kills a car faster than letting it sit in a garage. Mercedes love to be driven.

PS. Keep asking the questions and we'll keep answering them. Few things are more fun than sitting at home with a nice cuppa tea and fixing somebody's car.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: