LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
great karma

Just started discussing yesterday acquiring a 1985 280sl from within the family and found this site. This afternoon I pass by a house I had spotted a yellow older MB in about twelve years ago and they are pulling it out of the garage on a flatbed. It is a yellow, most important to me, 1973 200d. The exterior looks good and the interior is also good. Has been sitting since 1996. I talked to the owner and we are trying to come up with a fair price. I ran the vin thru the Russian site and it can back with an error. The vin is 11511510170858. I copied it off the registration and not the body so it might have a mistake in it.
Any advice or even a wild guess as to its value would be appreciated. I realize the limitations on such advice and the difficulty of even an estimate without more information. I have no idea of the mileage but regardless it appears someone took fairly good care of the car just from looking at the interior, engine compartment and exterior.
Thanks for any guidance, advice, or cautions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:33 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: May 2003
Vehicle: 81' 300SD, 82' 300D
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
The VIN decoder doesn't work on cars older than 1980. Since this a W115 we're dealing with, I'll move this to the vintage forum.

1981 300SD DB881 ext./code #236 leather int. aka: thistle green ext./olive int.
1982 300D, DB877 ext./code #135 mb-tex int. aka: petrol green ext./creme int.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 04:46 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Welcome to BenzWorld, Mike! It might help if you stated your country of origin. Most folks here are Yanks, and I suspect that you are not, since neither model you mentioned are U.S. versions...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
well, let me say y'all. Actually I live in North Carolina. I know the 280SL is a Euro 107 body. It has square single headlights.
The 200D I know nothing about except for the small amout the owner told me. Have been trying to navigate my way around the board the last few hours trying gather enough information to qualify for "really ignorant" and advance eventually to "newbie".
I'll take any advice, opinions and flames.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

The 200D is also a Euro model, and one of extremely limited value (and hp) unless in absolute mint condition. I would pass on it, unless you're a big-time vintage diesel-head.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 06:35 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
thanks for the "limited value" tip. I haven't yet been able to establish a comfortable offer price. I have some experience at rejuvenating older cars and motor vehicles and realized early that "money pit" is appropriate. This 200d has been inside the last ten years or so and is covered with garage dust but appears to have been taken fairly well care of before being parked. It has not been run in that time frame nor has any maintenance been performed. With that in mind I assume brake systems and other fluids have now the consistency of either chocolate syrup or coffee grounds. And we still have the motor to contend with that has not been used in ten years. I have gathered from this site that rust in the rear floor area is common due either to the front and rear glass seals and in the area of the jack points. Working on the motor is not a problem, dumping large sums of my toy budget into a piece of junk that will be worth 20% of its costs is a problem. But I do love the idea of the challenge. I am inclined to offer him $500 as I believe that is all he will be able to realize unless a well financed enthusiast happens along and can't resist.
As noted above I also have an opportunity to possess an '85 280SL Euro. The current figure being bandied about is in the 2-3k range since it is a family car. It appears to be in very good shape and has the usual A/C and high idle complaints.
So, right now I am torn between the 200D and the 280SL. Kinda like choosing between Bette Davis and Sophia Loren.
Any help?
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:01 AM
BenzWorld Veteran

Date registered: Mar 2006
Oh, heck, buy both. Two money pits are better than one I've got seven; including three Mercedes, some American stuff, and probably something sitting in the yard I'll find the next time I mow!

Anyway, where abouts in NC are you at? I'm here in Winston Salem.

Jamie

But then again, I could be wrong.........

Where is everyone? Find out here (and let everyone know where you are, too)...

http://www.frappr.com/w123club
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:05 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
I live in Browns Summit, just North of Greensboro. I have family that lives next to Wake.
I think one will be plenty. Will give you the info on the 200D if you want it to be eight!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 01-18-2007, 07:51 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

The 280SL model is very highly regarded. This would be an easy choice for me, since I appreciate a responsive gas pedal.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in