LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:09 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Jan 2007
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
W110 and W111

I am picking up 2. A W110 190 (62) and a W111 220 (66) I am using the 220 as a parts car for the 190. I am putting a small Block Chevy into the 190.

I was wondering if anyone here as ever heard of such swaps?
If you could help me figure out the wheel pattern?
If you could steer me towards any websites that carry parts for these Vintage Model MB's?

Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-06-2007, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
And if any of you have any further info on the Fintails that would help too.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-08-2007, 09:41 PM
cth
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes
the greatest heckflosse website you're going to find is The Mercedes Heckflosse (or Fintail) Homepage

The swap's been done before. All sorts of things go wrong with the oil pan interfering with the steering or getting the exhaust and US transmission to mate with the drive shaft.

You won't be able to bolt up a non-mercedes engine to a mercedes transmission. Not a thing is compatable.

Lots of places will hook you up with parts. Rusty at www.**********.com is my personal preference.

-CTH
PS. Few things interchange between those two cars.
post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 09:34 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
That website didn't show up... just stars.

And I am using a T5 Chevy transmission, i can get a custom driveline to hook the rear diff up to the trans. Oil pan and steering huh...?
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 09:37 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Plus I need a site for parts and information, not history.

Will the glass interchange between the two?
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 08:25 PM
cth
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Vehicle: 30+ mercedes
very few things will interchange between the cars.

That was www dot ********** dot com -CTH
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 08:31 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2005
Vehicle: 74' 450 SE
Send a message via AIM to SalvageTitle
listen to the advice they're giving... you're embarking on a near impossible mission. why are you set on doing a chevy powerplant? the MB v8's are stronger and more reliable (at least with my experience). it would be less work too just to put another MB powerplant in.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-09-2007, 11:10 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
the SBC is waaaaaay easier to come by, transplanting a MB V8 is more difficult to come by and is more difficult to wire the FI up on.

And yet again that website didn't show up. everything between the dots is **'s put a space in there or something.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 04:42 AM
BenzWorld Senior Member

Date registered: Oct 2006
Vehicle: 1965 220SE sedan (finnie) with 450SE conversion, 1964 220SE coupe project, 1966 300SE coupe
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Hey there,
Drew in Australia here. I am currently putting a 4.5L MB V8 into my 1965 W111 finny.
See drew56cus - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting for pics of what I have done so far.
The engine bolts right up. Just need a bit more clearance around the back of the MB auto - I went full on and transplanted a piece of the tunnel to keep the stock floor shift and driveshaft centre bearing, but you could get away with less work.

Use the V8 radiator (without the oil cooler) - just swap the finny radiator sides for the W108 ones, and with a bit of tickling it will go in.
I also used the W108 V8 driveshaft and rear end, to get a better diff ratio and disc brakes on the rear.

As for wiring, I have been told by my advisor who has done one before, that if you have a F.I. finny, the changeover for K Jet is pretty easy - though haven't got the wiring diagram off him yet.

I started off trying to put a Ford 302W into it, as a guy in the club has done it. I found that the sump pan got in the way of the drag link, and the steering box (it would be the idler arm in a LHD car) got in the way of the starter motor. The way around these issues is to sit the motor up high in the engine bay so the pan is above the drag link, and use a gear reduction starter. Castlemaine rod shop in Victoria Australia even make an adapter kit to take care of engine, g'box mounts and speedo cables - check 'em on the web.

There is also a US based web site (can't find address now as computer blew up) all about 302-351 V8's into W108 cars. They have lots of tips on there.
Don't know much about the SBC, but I am sure the 302-351 site would have someone in the know...

I found that the MB V8's are easy to find now as there are lots of old W116 450SE's falling out of favour with the fuel prices.

Now, the main difference from what I have read over the years with the W110 and W111 is the length of the car in front of the firewall. The W110 is shorter. So it may give you more headaches in trying to squeeze the radiator in the std place - though there is plenty of room if you get rid of the mechanical fan and use a thermo...

So the glass and doors etc should be interchangeable, but the front sheetmetal is not.

And the heckflosse group are pretty awesome... lots of knowledge there.
Good luck with your decision!!

Drew in Oz
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 01-12-2007, 11:23 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Thank you, I found a very good deal and hookup on parts. A guy will take the Original motor and trans in trade for fin parts I need, such as trim and interior and little things of the sort.

I have an article from Super Rod magazine where Tea Leone did the swap in a 200 with a SBC LS1 Corvette motor, with the 6 speed trans and she used the mustang II front end and the JAguar V8 rear end.

It will be a task that is for sure.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in