Newbie Questions - 1968 220 (W115) - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-28-2006, 04:42 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Question Newbie Questions - 1968 220 (W115)

Hi, all:

I am considering purchasing a '68 Mercedes 220 (four-cylinder engine, dual carburetors, four-speed floor-shift manual transmission). I took it for a test drive today and discovered a few things:

1. The clutch chatters and has very little travel. On the floor it is disengaged, but lift your foot maybe an inch and the clutch is fully engaged. And I could not stop it from chattering when going into gear. Worn out? Bad hydraulics? Oil on the clutch? Is this a common issue?

2. There is a sound coming from the passenger's side rear of the car, like something dragging. I thought maybe the emergency brake was engaged slightly, but I couldn't figure out how to release it...where's the brake release? Also I checked that wheel after a test-drive, to see if it was hot from friction, and it wasn't. What else could be making a ssssshhhhhhhh noise back there?

3. The turn signals blinked very, very fast...not really blinking but buzzing. Bulb out? Bad flasher?

Again, I'm just curious as to whether any of these symptoms are indicative of common problems with this variety of cars. I have never owned a running Mercedes, but I've been on the lookout for the right one of this vintage.

I appreciate any guidance you can give me, and look forward to any responses I might receive.

Best regards!
Michael Carmody
Wichita, Kansas USA
Air Capital of the World
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 03:59 PM
BenzWorld Elite
Date registered: Jan 2006
Vehicle: 73 280SE 4.5, 71 300SEL, 03 BMW Z4, 72 Fiat 850, 80 Triumph TR7, 85 Porsche 911
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Send a message via MSN to Grubeguy Send a message via Yahoo to Grubeguy
My 220SEb (now stolen) had a similar issue, regarding the sound in the rear. I ended up replacing the wheel bearings and the sound was gone.

As for the clutch, it sounds like the disk is worn down. I recommend replacing the throw-out bearing if you replace the disk. To me, the chattering sounds like worn springs.

Regarding the signals, does it blink fast on both sides? If so, then perhaps the relay is shot ... Does your emergency flasher circuit work?
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 12-29-2006, 04:17 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Hey, Grubeguy, thanks for answering! I appreciate your time.

It flashes the same either way, left or right. I thought the flasher was probably shot. I haven't checked the four-way hazard lights, but I bet it's the same story. I'll check and write back.

I have a feeling the car has not seen a lot of driving in the past couple of years, so I'm sure some issues will pop up and others may rectify themselves with a little least that's been my typical experience with old cars.

By the way, I just made a deal to buy the car!

Thanks again, Mr. G, and Happy New Year!

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 12:02 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2007
Clutch problem:
The clutch is activated with a hydraulic (master) cylinder which is pushing fluid down to the (slave) cylinder mounted on the trans (actually on the back side of the bell housing). There is a special tool (shape of a fork -- size of a feeler-gauge) which is used to check how much wear on the clutch. And if the slave cylinder piston has not worn through the fork & the throw-out bearing is ok; check two things first.
Bleed the system from the bottom. In other words -- use the bleeder screw on the slave cylinder to push the fluid (and air) up through the reservoir.
And (what I really suspect the problem to be) the master cylinder could have been changed without replacing the push-pin on the clutch pedal. The part was modified some years ago and if the clutch master cylinder was replaced then the pin mounted on the pedal had to be replaced also. I recommend a GOOD MBZ parts person to look it up for you.

master: one who is highly skilled.
mechanic: one who repairs cars.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 01-02-2007, 08:44 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Newbie
(Thread Starter)
Hey, MasterTech:

Thanks for the tip. I have had many old cars, but I think this may be my first with a hydraulic clutch. Your insight is valuable!

Best regards,
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: