LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 12-19-2006, 07:04 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Member
Date registered: May 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
Hard decision between a W107, W116 & a Volvo

I have a Volvo as a daily car which is reliable and good enough for everyday use BUT this doesn't stop me from thinking of owning a classic Mercedes over the past 10-15 years. Until the beginning of this year here came my chance, I found a very straight panel 1979 (W107) 280SL parked somewhere. The original owner has left the country for over 2 years and sadly the car was just sitting in an open area carpark. So, I decided to safe it from becoming a wreck by giving it a complete restoration work.

However, a W107 was not initially my wish, I was looking for a W116 which was the very 1st car I drove 20 years ago when I 1st got my license. But doesn't matter since the W107 carries the same kind of style from the 70s. Only after few weeks I started my restoration project, I saw a 1977 W116 being offered, the car has been owned by same family since 1977, so by interest, I contact the seller via email and as I just want to have a look at this car. I must say at this stage, I have no intension buying his car as I already started the restoration on the W107 and I have another Volvo to drive daily.

After a few chats through emails, we became friends. It was a few months ago when this guy told me he will be moving to UK and he has the car stored somewhere in a carpark. Although I still keep in touch with him, yet I have no intension for owning a 3rd car still. However, he wrote to me while he was in UK and comfirm that he will stay there and asked me if I want his car. He then made me an offer which I really could not resist and now I ended up with what can be called my dream, a W116 from 1977 (280S). The car is all original and engine condition is good, some rust on body shell but at least much easier to repair.

Now, althogh the W107 is still under restoration work and looks like I won't be getting it back within the next few months. However, I really am getting confuse and do not know if I should keep this W116. The car do have some problems like engine cutting off at traffic light which I still have no idea WHY........ . Whether it is going to be easily fix will surely effect my mood of keeping this car. Besides, I really don't know if I should give the body a good welding and painting job as W116 do not much value even I decided to sell it later. The thing is, I do just love this 70s Mercedes but I cannot overspend on cars as there are a lot of other things that I do need to reserve money for...

Guys, what do you think? Please give me some advise, specially on the engine cut out problem....will it cause by the carburettor???
Sponsored Links
post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 03-14-2007, 05:57 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: May 2006
Vehicle: 1976 300d Mercedes Benz
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 76'benz-ford-chev
The Whole comming to the stop light and i stalling i was wondering if you come to a stop REALLY slow Does it still Do It as bad and die because i just replaced the carb on a chevy c/30 Glass truck(work's) and it was having the same problem and a replaced the carb and it works perfect the problem was that the floats were sticking and when i would brake it would overflow and flood the engine a stall. so i'd say it is the carb but yeah get the car sounds but if you dont pm me i gotta 76 300d and you can never have enough of them there is a guy with i think like 9 vintage benzes so yeah
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: