74 300D engine options - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-07-2006, 11:28 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Dec 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
It is a great driving car, but I think a new motor or rebuilding the original is out of the question. I can't see spnding that kind of money that will probably never be worth more than $2,000. I don't know if there is much chance of finding a decent used motor, but I think that is my best option. If anybody has any leads, please let me know.
Thank you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:41 AM
Always Remembered RIP

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1991 560SEC AMG
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to cascade
One possibility would be to scour Craigslist and Autotrader to find a donor car or wrecked one with a good running engine.

The operative word is of course a "Good" one. I had a wife with a '91 Volvo that car was beautifully maintained, all records from mile zero, custom sheepskins, Borbet type E wheels, and the engine went on that one and the mechanic said either buy a new engine, rebuild the old one or get a used motor. Got the used motor but it didn't take, and she needed what she thought was a reliable daily commuter, so we had to let the car go, it now had engine and transmission problems. I think about 159k on it. Those old Volvos are real safe and comfy, and should last about 300k or more.

I almost cried the morning it was towed away.., we donated it to a charity.

Someone bought it too, and even this year it is still running today. Someone fixed it up and got a damn good car. DAMN I miss that car "Volvito" (little Volvo) we called it
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 08:58 AM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Vehicle: Many MBs
Quote:
Originally Posted by diametricalbenz
Try driving a fully functional W115 300D. It has everything a W123 has. Cruise, AC, Radio and better visibility which is something you can't change even on a W123. It's an excellent chassis with a low center of gravity fuel tank.

Casscountry, you have a nice car that is dwindling in numbers don't let it go!
I have tried driving a W115. In fact I've owned more than I can remember. I've had 220s, 220Ds, 230S, 240Ds and 300Ds. I even had a strech limo 250. I agree they were nice cars in their day, but those days are gone. In my opinion the 83 240D and 83 300DT trounce the old W115s. The 83 was the best year for the W123. It had lighted mirrors, delayed intereior light, upgraded interior, good heating and A/C, and best of all an electric right side mirror. No more driving off the road while you are trying to adjust the mirror. The W123 also eliminated the sub frame. Admittedly some ride comfort was lost, but the car is more nimble and easier to work on. By the way you can always change a radio MB always put those crappy Beckers in the car with a tape in the glove box that tried to explain the crappy stereo performance. Lemmings swallowed that garbage and kept the radio. Thinking people got rid of it and installed a good Japanese unit. It's funny that out of all the MBs I've owned, I've lost several Alpines but never a becker.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-08-2006, 02:04 PM
BenzWorld Elite

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '77 6.9, 74 240D, 96 Ram 5.9L Cummins, 02 Civic EX, 10 Mazda 5 Sport
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
www.mercedesdismantlers.com
www.silverstarrecycling.com

Give these guys a call and see if they have any engines. I am sure they do since people choose not to restore these and junk the chassis.

Autozen, he was asking for options and selling the car is always the last resort. But not everyone needs lighted mirrors, delayed interior lights, and electric right hand mirrors. All the basics are in the W115 that work perfectly fine when maintained. They are simply less automated and have far fewer vacuum problems to deal with.

If he wanted something comfortable I would say dump all the Benzes and get a Lexus LS460.

1977 - W116 - 6.9
1974 - W115 - 240D /8 - 4(M) OM617.910 + Turbo + 300D FW - Completed 7/8/10
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 12-10-2006, 02:14 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Nov 2006
Vehicle: 1976 300d @460k
I have to agree, fight the W123 army! at any rate i would do my best to find a replacement. for a few thousand dollars you have a rebuild/new motor ready for 300k/30 years. think of it as more an oppertunity to get even more intimate with you vehicle and improve upon you saturday mechanic skills,and perhapse reward us all with a fully photographed motor swap?

1976 300D 460k "new" motor at 450k swaped for a baby with only 110k
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in