Fuel Pump Relay and pin locations? 280SE 1972 4.5L - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Nothing like a happy ending!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-13-2006, 01:39 PM
kpb
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Oct 2004
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GermanStar
Nothing like a happy ending!
on happy endings -- thanx for the recent parts ron. ordered sat, received tue!!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-14-2006, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
(Thread Starter)
Where or where has my fuel pump relay gone??

Fuel Pump Relay and pin locations? 280SE 1972 4.5L-fender-well.jpg
I think KPB said he had TWO rectangular relays on his passenger side fender well. Does anyone else know if there should be 2 relays? Also, where everyone says the fuel pump relay should be, mounted to the passenger side front fender well, I have a different 5 pin relay (Bosch 332 202 001). The wall on my car only has vibration mounts for one relay behind the battery.

I'm still VERY confused and frustrated. I have tested and confirmed continuity across the #4 fuse, as well as the others, in the driver's floorboard. I tested the one rectangular relay on a separate battery and it works like it should. However, it is being plugged into a holder that, in either direction you install it, the 87 pin goes into an empty plastic hole. Only 87A goes into a metal sleeve. And, doing a voltage check from ground to the pins, in both the off and run positions, I get zero volts. So, I'm not sure what or when or how this relay controls anything at the moment. Going to the relay holder is a brown wire to #5, a blue with white stripe to #3, a purple with white stripe to #4, and a big blue and a small blue to #2 (the small blue's wire shows corrosion). If I was going to jumper across the relay, like nutz4benz suggested, I'm not even sure what I would try to jumper. I unhooked the positive wire at the fuel pump, and connected it to a wire I ran all the way back to the battery area, but could not find continuity anywhere. Does anyone have ANY suggestions to continue my troubleshooting? Thanks!!
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
GermanStar, you were right- that is what the fuel pump relay looks like. And, in hindsight, your diagram is kind of helpful. I FINALLY found the sucker! It is located just behind the front right headlight. There are a couple of relays on a plate (what looks like your #485) just behind the ecu. I had tested those for continuity back to the fuel pump wire earlier, with no success. BUT, if you put a mirror under that plate, you see 2 more rectangular relays. The fuel pump relay is not on the side or near the windshield. What a hassle!! I have no idea how to get that plate out without a special shaped wrench and a lot of knuckle-busting, but fortunately someone had been in that area before (or Mercedes realized it would be a real hassle in the future) and there was only one screw holding the relay in. Unplugged the relay, and found the continuity I was looking for.

Wish me luck as I jumper or switch the relay, and continue trying to get fuel to my engine once again.

Thanks guys for the input!!
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-18-2006, 09:38 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
I'm glad you found it -- good luck!

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 11-20-2006, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Fuel Pump Relay location

Fuel Pump Relay and pin locations? 280SE 1972 4.5L-fuel-pump-relay-location.jpg
To try to help others who may ever encounter this problem, I'm going to try to attach a photo (the beer bottle was not just due to the great amout of frustration, but also was serving the function of catching fuel when the pump ever did start working). The round and square relays mount on top of a plate behind the ECU which is just behind the right headlight. UNDER that plate is where the rectangular relay (there are actually two) is located. You can't see them without almost looking upside down or using a lighted mirror. I almost swore that they were not anywhere on this car. They are in a terrible location! Good luck ever getting that plate out (2 bolts and a screw that are also very hard to get to). I won't be putting the relays back in that location.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 06-04-2016, 02:37 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Mar 2016
Vehicle: 1972 MB 280SE 4.5
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to SGPFN
Fuel Pump Relay

Floyd, which is the fuel pump relay is it the left or right on the plate? There is a relay below the two relays as well.
Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in