1978 350se? - Page 2 - Mercedes-Benz Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-04-2007, 08:54 AM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jan 2007
Vehicle: 350SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Carlsbad NM? - I thought it was in CA. Never mind, it means your car probably hasn't seen too many salted roads. Apart from a severe accident (which you will almost certainly survive alive and well, the only reason to throw away one of these cars is rust. If you have a good rust free 350SE it is gold.

Google W116 and you can get lots of your Qs answered. Those guys are giving good advice, too. My 350SE was delivered new in the UK in 1977 and imported privately into Oz - very few 350SEs were sold new here after the 450 motor was released, so I have close to the only 350 in the country with K-Jetronic. The problems you have sound like mine. These cars don't like not being driven. Everything that holds fluid will need an overhaul some time soon, but just work through each system patiently and you will a wonderful car. If you don't have the patience and perseverence you will be happier driving a Korean bean-can. And your 350 will cost - but nowhere near as much as your bean-can will depreciate in one year. So, take heart! Try and find a mechanic who is interested in Mercedes-Benz at all, or one who is patient and prepared to find out what he needs to know. Here is the test: if they want to swap in a SB Chevy, then walk. The 350SE engine produces around 1 hp per cu in, so it is hot compared with the lazy average US production motor, and so it needs to be treated appropriately.

The fuel injection is a standard Bosch system and can all be reconditioned. Same with all the electrics (there are negligible electronics as the 1976-8 K-Jet is basically mechanical). And keep all the fluids fresh and clean by changing them often. Change all the filters and disposables such as plugs, leads, disc pads, and don't fix anything that ain't broke. Just make sure you have done careful diagnosis before you lay a wrench on it, so use the forum and any other people you come across that know these cars. Maybe there is a M-B club in NM?
Sponsored Links
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 09-19-2011, 09:40 PM
BenzWorld Junior Member
Date registered: Jun 2011
Vehicle: 1978 Mercedes Benz 350SE
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I have a 1978 Mercedes 350SE as well.Its based on the W116 Chassis.
If you do find out about a repair manual for this i would like to take a look.
Im having a hard time locating an electrical schematic for it.Its probably in German.
Sponsored Links

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address: