Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

W114 71 250 Engine Question

2K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  ggenovez 
#1 ·
Hello all,

Quick question. Have a 1971 250. Prestine condition but I bought it with a bad motor. Having my share of problems locating a replacement, i.e, 250 thats not rebuilt costing under 3 g's. Can I use a 280? Or even a e motor, and than change out the intake to accomodate the carbs? Will these other motors bolt up to the automatic tranny. Any help at all would be appreciated and would warrant a beer or 12 if your in the central texas area.

#2 ·
Depending on the full chassis model, you will either have a 2.5 l engine or a 2.8L engine.

At some point in 1970/71 , MB ran out of 2.5L engines and used the same M130 engine in the 250 as well as the 280.

If you have a 114.010 chassis you probably have a 250 M114 engine, and if you have a 114.011 chassis, you probably have a M130 Enigne.

The good news is it looks like they both use the same transmission. So you should be able to swap them.

I beleive the 280E also used the transmission so that might be an option for you as well. A doner car would probably be your best resource to ensure you have all the right parts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.