LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 08:16 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

Date registered: Sep 2006
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
(Thread Starter)
w108 power window wiring?

I am trying to install a new driver's door power window regulator in my 1967 250s. The regulator that was removed from car had a motor with 3 wires. The new regulator has a motor with only 2 wires. Does anyone know how I can wire this to work in my car?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 09:14 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Date registered: Aug 2002
Vehicle: 2021 SL770
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 591 Post(s)
Welcome to BenzWorld! I haven't run across this one in a while, but hazily recall that the solution is very complex (I could be mistaken). I believe you actually need to add a relay among other things...

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-23-2006, 11:52 PM
BenzWorld Member

Date registered: Oct 2005
Vehicle: '82 380 SL, '82 300TD, '85 500SEC
Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaypool
I am trying to install a new driver's door power window regulator in my 1967 250s. The regulator that was removed from car had a motor with 3 wires. The new regulator has a motor with only 2 wires. Does anyone know how I can wire this to work in my car?
Here's the likeliest situation: Power window motors will accept 12v+ signals from the relays GermanStar is referring to, up in the fuse box. This input is based on your finger's input at the window switch. Depending which way you want the window to move, one of those wires will be the up 12v+ wire and one will be the down. When there is a third wire, it'll be a 12v- ground wire. These motors are fairly unique in that they can reverse directions.

My suggestion is to verify my comments on your car by testing:

1. Open up the passenger door and test with a multimeter which wire color is up, down and ground. Ground will typically be brown.
2. Compare your results with the wire colors on the driver's moyor/regulator you are removing...often an up wire will be blue and the other will be blue with a stripe. Or green and green with a stripe. You should be able to figure it out that way.
3. As for installing the two-wire motor...this is the likely situation: The ground wire has been eliminated because it is likely the motor/regulator will end up bolted to the door which is connected to the frame which is grounded. I'd suggest you take the ground wire of the three wires already in the door and put a ring connector on its end and connect it under one of the bolts holding the regulator in place.
3a. Now all you have to do is to figure out which of the two new wires is up and which is down. It doesn't matter. Hook them up and try it. If the window goes up when you exoected it to go down, merely reverse them..You're done.

Dave
post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 05:44 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Ron, you were correct. I got my hands on a technical bulletin from MB that describes how to build a work-around using relays. I've ordered the parts and hope to get this done on Saturday. Thanks again for the help.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 09-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Good luck -- let us know how it turns out.

"If spending money you don't have is the height of stupidity, borrowing money to give it away is the height of insanity." -- anon
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 08:58 AM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Unhappy Power window wiring

Well it isn't working out so well yet. I got it wired up per the instructions from MB. I can hear the new relays clicking which tells me that power is getting to them from the original wiring harness but the new window motor is not offering to move. I guess I'm going to have to go through each connection and try to change them one at a time to see if I can make it work. Hopefully I won't accidently fry the relays in the process.
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 09:24 AM
Administratoris Emeritus

Do the instructions mention using a different window switch? I'm wondering if part of this conversion involves abandoning the door-mounted window switch in favor of using the later version console-mounted switch.

post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 01:55 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
No, the instructions don't mention changing the switch. Since the new relay/harness that it instructs you to make is intended to bridge the 3-wire harness to the 2-wire motor I assume that the old switch should work. Maybe I'm wrong about that.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Administratoris Emeritus

Well, if there is no mention of a switch in the service bulletin, I suppose you should be OK.

post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 10-07-2006, 06:01 PM Thread Starter
BenzWorld Junior Member

(Thread Starter)
Well I finally got it working! The diagram from MB was incorrect. After I moved a few of the connections to one of the relays It worked fine. Now the electrics work but the window "stutters" all the way up. I've tried adjusting the channel but it doesn't seem to make a difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Mercedes-Benz Forum > General Mercedes-Benz Forums > Vintage Mercedes-Benz

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mercedes-Benz Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in