Mercedes-Benz Forum banner

Question, '74 -- 117 982 engine timing cover removal

1K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  nortonfan 
#1 ·
Fellow Benzers,

I'm in the process of removing the timing cover from my engine (117 982) and have run into a snag. Hopefully, someone who has done this can assist me.

I've followed the directions for removal of the timing case in accordance with the Haynes manual and, to a limited extent, the scant instructions of the MB manual, on CD. The cover is reluctant to come off, though I have backed it out, all the way around about one half inch, from its mating surface. I've double checked that ALL retaining bolts are out, the guide pins to the timing chain tracks, the pertinent oil pan bolts as well as the head bolts. It seems more reluctant to move at the base of the cover, where it meets the oil pan. However, as I mentioned above, all of the corresponding bolts have been removed. Is there something like snap/retaining ring on the end of the crank that is not shown in the manuals? I've applied what I would consider judicious prying pressure to get the cover to back out, but has reached an impass and I don't want to do any damge. I'm at a loss as to what may be holding it in. Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Norman C

#3 ·
Well, thanks for pointing this out! I was following the explicit directions of the ill-concieved Haynes manual, and no mention is made of having to remove the oil pan to access the oil pump, etc. In fact, it states to avoid damaging the seal/gasket while working the cover off, less the entire oil pan be removed to renew the gasket! Or, words to that effect. I will check the cover for any distortion, but I don't believe excessive pressure was applied on my part. I've learned through the years -- and these have been expensive lessons -- to stop and consult before something snaps. I have a surface plate to check the cover against. I'll hope for the best.

Your comments are much appreciated!

#4 ·
I've gone back to re-read all of the information I have on this subject, and have concluded that the oil pan cannot be removed from the engine, whilst the engine is in the car. As luck would have it, all but ONE pan bolt can be removed with the tools I have available. The derelict in question, sits above a clutter of suspension/chassis components, on the left hand side of the engine.

The idea of pulling the engine/trans does have some merit as I would then proceed to do complete top end, to include rings. I was also intending on doing a complete front end overhaul, steering and suspension work, as well. I'll be done, hopefuly, by this time, next year!

#5 ·
Fellow Benzers,
Further to my ealier posts and cries for help, through additional research I've learned that the oil pan CAN be removed with the engine in the car... HOWEVER, the front axle needs to come off! Just a minor thing, huh? What is worse depends on how good you are at swearing. Pardon my sarcasm. It appears there are two version of the pan, to wit: the type I have is a one piece version ... meaning: I'm screwed! The other, a two piece version, which would allow for removal of the lower section of the pan to gain access to the oil pump, thus, obviating the need to pull the front axle or engine/ transmission to remove the timing case cover. Uh, that one, I don't have!

So, if any out there have the temerity to undertake this work, look first at your pan and see if you have the one piece or two piece version. The two piece version is the "intelligent" version of the former; or, as Martha would say: "a good thing." The former being ... well, the "stupid" version, and, by default, the "not-so-good-thing." If you have what I have, the ole 'one piece,' you may consider selling your car to an unsuspecting buyer. Just kidding! I forget that I started this project with the intention of replacing a timing chain and track guides, which led to timing cover removal, which led to ... dismembering and disecting the entire car!

If you are contemplating on doing this to your daily driver, make plans accordingly. The only alternative, as I see it, is to replace only the timing chain and upper track guides and the tensioning track/shoe, which are accessible after considerable disassembly of the engine's accessory package. The lower track guides require removal of the timing chain cover, and you will soon have your car's engine in kit form. You can decide if it is worth it or not. My car has high mileage on it and this points to a lot of work remaining to be done. Of course, one can always pay someone to do it, but make sure you're on first name basis with your financial advisor, or have adequate reserves in your home's equity. For me, that is not an option, and my car is intended only for pleasure driving; having an alternate good car for my mode of transportation. I just have no idea when the pleasure part will materialize.

I apologize to the readers for the ramblings and my rants.

Cheers!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.